[HONORABLE MENTION] 1969 High School class ring returned to owner. 45 years later!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By CCDAMEEK
  • 1 Post By CCDAMEEK
  • 1 Post By cudamark

Thread: 1969 High School class ring returned to owner. 45 years later!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2019
    Upstate/Central NY, & central Florida
    Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030
    208 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

1969 High School class ring returned to owner. 45 years later!

Seeing a post about a college class ring being returned to it's owner, I thought I would share a similar story.

I found this 1969 Waterloo NY High School girls class ring, in July of 2014. My family was having a reunion at a private club in my hometown, and always being early for everything, I took my detecting tools along.

I spent about 5-minutes when I got a great signal, and dug this ring up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00072.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	1740607

Name:	DSC00075.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	1740612

Name:	DSC00084.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	1740608

It came out of the ground like it was brand new! It did have initials in the ring, but being July, I could only research online, and could not come up with a class year book.

Come September when school was back in session, I wrote several emails to school addresses telling of the story, and asking for help. I finally got a reply from a school secretary who had gone to the school library and pulled out the yearbook, and she was so excited, she actually pulled out a local phone book and called the first person with that last name of who she thought the ring belonged to.

Name:	Class ring email.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	1741039

Turned out, it was the mother of the girl who lost the ring..... Back in 1969, and knew where it was lost but could never find it after years of searching on hand and knee. The secretary asked my permission for the mother to contact me by phone, and the end result is I mailed the ring back to the original owner, who by 2014 was already a retired School Teacher herself.

She was absolutely amazed at seeing and having her ring back, and I was just as happy at returning it.
    Last edited by CCDAMEEK; Aug 07, 2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: more info
    Freedom isn't free! Thank You to all who serve and protect both in the military and In Law Enforcement

OH how I LOVE this hobby!

ca
    Aug 2016
    Guelph, Ontario
    Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
    47 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's great, too bad you weren't able to deliver it personally to see the actual look on her face. Still, must have made you feel a little bit awesome inside though.

us
    Aug 2019
    Upstate/Central NY, & central Florida
    Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030
    208 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That's great, too bad you weren't able to deliver it personally to see the actual look on her face. Still, must have made you feel a little bit awesome inside though.
    Indeed it did. But it got even better. Part of the story I didn't mention is that 6-months later, my father passed away. He was a well known local official in my hometown, and the newspaper did a large article on him. Well, my hometown and the school the ring was from, are in adjacent towns.

The person I sent the ring back to was back in her hometown visiting, and read the article about my father, and saw I was his son.

When I got back home out of state after helping settle my Dads affairs, a condolence card with the newspaper articles and a note from the women was waiting for me in the mail.
    The note said " I can see from this article where you received your honor & compassion ".

PRICELESS.
    lairmo likes this.
    Freedom isn't free! Thank You to all who serve and protect both in the military and In Law Enforcement

OH how I LOVE this hobby!

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7687 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    My honorable mention vote is in!
    CCDAMEEK likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links