๐Ÿ† HONORABLE MENTION 1969 High School class ring returned to owner. 45 years later!

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing a post about a college class ring being returned to it's owner, I thought I would share a similar story.

I found this 1969 Waterloo NY High School girls class ring, in July of 2014. My family was having a reunion at a private club in my hometown, and always being early for everything, I took my detecting tools along.

I spent about 5-minutes when I got a great signal, and dug this ring up.

DSC00072.JPG

DSC00075.JPG

DSC00084.JPG

It came out of the ground like it was brand new! It did have initials in the ring, but being July, I could only research online, and could not come up with a class year book.

Come September when school was back in session, I wrote several emails to school addresses telling of the story, and asking for help. I finally got a reply from a school secretary who had gone to the school library and pulled out the yearbook, and she was so excited, she actually pulled out a local phone book and called the first person with that last name of who she thought the ring belonged to.

Class ring email.JPG

Turned out, it was the mother of the girl who lost the ring..... Back in 1969, and knew where it was lost but could never find it after years of searching on hand and knee. The secretary asked my permission for the mother to contact me by phone, and the end result is I mailed the ring back to the original owner, who by 2014 was already a retired School Teacher herself.

She was absolutely amazed at seeing and having her ring back, and I was just as happy at returning it.

Last edited:

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's great, too bad you weren't able to deliver it personally to see the actual look on her face. Still, must have made you feel a little bit awesome inside though. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CCDAMEEK

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great, too bad you weren't able to deliver it personally to see the actual look on her face. Still, must have made you feel a little bit awesome inside though. :thumbsup:

Indeed it did. But it got even better. Part of the story I didn't mention is that 6-months later, my father passed away. He was a well known local official in my hometown, and the newspaper did a large article on him. Well, my hometown and the school the ring was from, are in adjacent towns.

The person I sent the ring back to was back in her hometown visiting, and read the article about my father, and saw I was his son.

When I got back home out of state after helping settle my Dads affairs, a condolence card with the newspaper articles and a note from the women was waiting for me in the mail.
The note said " I can see from this article where you received your honor & compassion ".

PRICELESS.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My honorable mention vote is in! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread