🏆 HONORABLE MENTION Class ring returned to the owner’s widow 58 years after it was lost

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A month ago I found a class ring at the old high school. It didn’t have a school name on it but it did have a letter on the stone that was the same as the name of the school. I contacted some members of the class of 1961 to see if this was indeed a ring from that school. One member said his class ring had the school name on it and his initials were inscribed on the inside. The ring I found did not have the name on it and the initials are on the outside. When I looked at the yearbook on line I noticed that 2 different jewelry stores sold class rings. It turns out that one sold Balfour rings and the other sold Jostens rings. Mine was a jostens ring. The first guy had a Balfour ring from store number one. I found another member of the class who got a ring from store number two and her ring had the initials on the outside like mine. So I now knew I had the right school.

BA85F862-6E9E-43A0-B064-958BC115225E.jpeg

The yearbook only had one man with the initials on my ring. I did a search for him and found his obituary. He died in 2018. The obituary gave me the name of his wife and a number of close friends. I searched for phone. numbers and gave everyone a try. His wife was in the phone book but the phone was disconnected. No luck on anyone else either, most of the numbers were not in service. If I got someone they didn’t know the widow’s location. I talked to other members of the class and they didn’t know either, but one of them put me in contact with a man who they said could find anybody. So after several weeks, yesterday I got a call from the widow and set up a meeting. It turns out after a lot of searching the widow lives a half mile from the go to guy and his niece is her landlord. It’s a small world after all.

When I got there this morning she was waiting at the door for me. She said she was so excited about the ring she didn’t sleep at all last night. When I handed her the ring she touched it to her cheek like she was giving it a hug. She kept thanking me and she said this was the best thing that had happened to her in a long time. She gave me a big hug and said she wanted my address so she could send me some money when her social security check came in. I told her she didn’t need to give me anything. I’m an Eagle Scout and a scout leader and this was my good turn for the day.

FBB7BF44-77B1-404C-B62D-5CA23100346C.jpeg

The widow did not know the story of the loss, but knew her husband lost it while he was still in school so it was in the ground at least 58 years. She couldn’t believe that I had found it at all. She was also amazed that I had taken the time to track her down. Things have not been going in her favor and she even had to borrow the landlady’s phone to call me. Knowing that I was even happier to be able to help her out.

So class ring found February 1 and returned March 1 for return number 17 out of 25. I’m still working on one more, but I think I am still beating my head against the wall on this one :BangHead:and it may be another one that is impossible to return. I have found 5 class rings since October and have returned 4 of them. The fifth one is not possible to return, no year, only one initial because of a break in the ring and the school name is not local and there are 7 schools with that name, so not a chance for that one. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honorable Mention you brought a piece of him back to her for the moment. Great story your a great person. Well done Tommy

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are, indeed, a good man. The return of that ring would be way more valuable to me than the value of the ring. Great job. The world needs more stories like this.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Honorable Mention, let's go!! Very nice story. Thank you for sharing and your hard work to return lost items and help people out. You give our hobby a good name!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tnt-hunter...great find and even better return, you can see how much the ring meant to her...you have my vote for Honorable Mention...you definitely represent what is best about our great hobby....Good luck with your hunts. Walt

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a great story. Kudos to you on a great return! Banner find and honorable mention.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one happy lady there!
Good job!

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You are, indeed, a good man. The return of that ring would be way more valuable to me than the value of the ring. Great job. The world needs more stories like this.

Indeed we do need many more....Honorable people who deserve an Honorable Mention! My vote is cast!

There is something in the face, eyes of the woman that reflects hardship and pain. I hope this brief moment of happiness grows for her.

Grease

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how any of this stuff works, but this is definitely an Honorable Mention.

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done! you stuck with it and found the owner, you make us all look good!:icon_thumright: Honorable Mention all the way!

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Honorable mention well done! :occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Good Job!!! Congrats!!! I hope someone returns mine someday:)

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can picture my mom as that woman. Dad died in 2011...a lonely widow that misses her husband. What a great thing to receive...a memento of your lost spouse. Kudos to you for the return. Good luck on your other ring returns. Gary

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great story and some great PR for our hobby - job well done !

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a great story and your perseverance is inspiring.
She definitely looks like she is holding her husband close to her.
Honorable mention all day long.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome detective work!, there's so many rings recovered no one knows who's they were, I'm glad she was still alive to enjoy this! Definite Honorable Mention!
Jon
8-)
:cat:
:occasion14:
:headbang:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, you touched that woman's heart...:notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions