Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A member of the board of a local rural cemetery knew I was a metal detectorist and asked if I could help them with a problem.

Several years back, they'd paid a guy to put PVC wrapped metal posts in to mark off plots in a new expansion of the old grounds. Problem is, in the ensuing years, the ground and grass had covered them all, and now they are needing the plots identified again.

After stopping to get some marker flags, I worked the open area. The first few were a bit challenging, since I wasn't sure what to look for, but once a grid started forming, I was moving pretty quickly.

I didn't quite finish by the time the light was fading, so I will go back to finish up, but the folks on the board were very happy.

The man that contacted me has several pieces of land around here where old homes used to stand, and he offered to let me hunt them - nice! But mostly I was really happy for these folks to see that our hobby has benefits to the community and we can be handy people to know. One guy has asked me to help him find a lost water meter on his property after hearing what I was doing with the cemetery.

Another nice part of this was I took my old Fisher F2 out to do the work -- I love that old machine but rarely use it anymore. It was like enjoying time with an old buddy. :happy11:

Anyway, it was a beautiful evening, I felt good being able to help, and wanted to share the idea in case others of you might be able to do the same sometime. Thanks for sharing the time with me!

IMG_7890.JPG
IMG_7891.JPG
IMG_7894.JPG
IMG_7895.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7895.JPG
    IMG_7895.JPG
    478.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7895.JPG
    IMG_7895.JPG
    484.3 KB · Views: 92

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Well done! Of course I was ready to rip you a new one when I read the title of the post. :laughing7: But you were a good ambassador for the hobby and got some new (non cemetery) places to hunt for your efforts.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Totally trolling with that title [emoji23]

Good to see you will be rewarded for your efforts! Good luck when you hit them [emoji1303]. I haven’t had my F2 out in a couple of years. The ATP has more silver under it’s coil now but the F2 still has more gold (so far...).

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! Of course I was ready to rip you a new one when I read the title of the post. :laughing7: But you were a good ambassador for the hobby and got some new (non cemetery) places to hunt for your efforts.

Ha! Yeah, I got a few looks from people driving by, but I was holding the flags in hand and tried to look as "official" as possible. I also made sure to just bring my small hand shovel - a full one in hand would seem a bit too grave-robberish... :laughing7:

Thanks Jeff!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's about the only kind of "cemetery tekkering" I would approve of!
I've found property pins for folks, even meter boxes for our city,
after they got buried & sodded over, years back.
And nice to see your good deed, didn't go unrewarded.
Good luck on them future homestead hunts awaiting you!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally trolling with that title [emoji23]

Good to see you will be rewarded for your efforts! Good luck when you hit them [emoji1303]. I haven’t had my F2 out in a couple of years. The ATP has more silver under it’s coil now but the F2 still has more gold (so far...).

Looks like we use the same gear! I recently added a NEL Storm coil on the ATP, and am seeing definite depth improvements. Not the machine I wanted folks to see me hauling in the cemetery though! :laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job, congrats on the fine publicity for our hobby! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome job JD! I did a similar thing locating the buried pipe for the frizbee flag at one local park. Your endeavor was far more important though.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go java....you da man !! Karma can be a good thing....and your due some good luck now !!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job JD! I did a similar thing locating the buried pipe for the frizbee flag at one local park. Your endeavor was far more important though.

Thanks RG! I appreciate the cheers and right back at ya mate! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go java....you da man !! Karma can be a good thing....and your due some good luck now !!

Always great to hear from you, mate! I need some good karma - I've dug a few Mercs the past month and not a whole lot else. Let me know if you start takin' on crew! :laughing7:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey....you got a honorable mention !! Wooo hooo congrats !!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Looks like we use the same gear! I recently added a NEL Storm coil on the ATP, and am seeing definite depth improvements. Not the machine I wanted folks to see me hauling in the cemetery though! :laughing7:

Yeah? Versus which coil? I most often use the Garrett 5x8 coil which I bought at the time of buying the ATP (based on F2 experience). The parks I’ve been in have been trashy.

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah? Versus which coil? I most often use the Garrett 5x8 coil which I bought at the time of buying the ATP (based on F2 experience). The parks I’ve been in have been trashy.

If I'm in a park, I switch back to the 5x8 because the big Storm goes nuts in a trashy park setting. I use the Storm in fields and other areas where there's not a lot of metal and I want to go deeper for Civil War era bullets, buttons, etc. I hit some lots near my house where I've hunted extensively with the ATP and I hit targets I'd missed before. Still in the mode of assessing how best to alternate between the coils based on the site.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Nice job. But I didn't I didn't know a metal detector could pick up on PVC. Are the markers themselves metal?

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. But I didn't I didn't know a metal detector could pick up on PVC. Are the markers themselves metal?

Thanks for the note - you may have missed my comment in the start of the thread "they'd paid a guy to put PVC wrapped metal posts..." So under the PVC dome was a metal spike in each. I assume the white PVC caps were to help in visibility, but once they went underground it didn't help! :laughing7:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
If I'm in a park, I switch back to the 5x8 because the big Storm goes nuts in a trashy park setting. I use the Storm in fields and other areas where there's not a lot of metal and I want to go deeper for Civil War era bullets, buttons, etc. I hit some lots near my house where I've hunted extensively with the ATP and I hit targets I'd missed before. Still in the mode of assessing how best to alternate between the coils based on the site.

Something I’ll have to look in to. If I end up buying, count on me reaching out to glean info. I figure you have to tell me since you are my US gear twin [emoji23]. Maybe that’s doppelgänger? [emoji848]

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something I’ll have to look in to. If I end up buying, count on me reaching out to glean info. I figure you have to tell me since you are my US gear twin [emoji23]. Maybe that’s doppelgänger? [emoji848]

Sure thing - always happy to help where I can. :icon_thumright:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Deed on locating the pin markers. I'm glad you were given some new permissions on the old homesites. This is living proof that Good Guys don't always finish last. Best of luck to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread