[HONORABLE MENTION] Found My First Class Ring And Made My First Return
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Found My First Class Ring And Made My First Return

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2012
    USA
    Minelab E-Trac
    3266 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Found My First Class Ring And Made My First Return

My son and I went out after work looking to get a quick relic hunt in before dark. We drove out to a park a couple of towns over where I have found Civil War relics at before. My hopes were to luck up on a bullet so my focus was on those type of signals. We hadn't walked far from where we parked and my second signal was a 12-31 on the Etrac. I cut the plug and could see what I thought was a gold colored twist cap off of a liquor bottle. I quickly picked it up to put in my pouch but was blown away to pull out this huge chunk of gold and to see I had just dug my first class ring. I called for my son to come over and we shared the excitement as I took a bunch of photos of it there in the dirt. I was anxious to get home, get it cleaned up and start searching for the owner.

The first search my wife did took us to the right guy and with a little more searching we were able to find phone numbers and even an address. I didn't want to just call him or reach out to him through social media because I wanted to surprise him in person and to see his reaction first hand. I was trying to get a message to his wife and to set up a way to meet for the return but we couldn't find that much info on her. I found a place he used to live and thought that it was his parents house going by the name on the tax record. I drove by there on Friday but it looked as no one lived there. I was ready to get this ring back to him so today I took the drive to where he lives and knocked on his door but no one was home. I jumped in my truck disappointed and was thinking I may have to just call and set up a time to meet. As I was heading out of the complex I see a guy pulling in that looks like him based on photos I have seen on his social media pages. I quickly turned around and parked a few spaces away and waited on him to get out. Sure enough it was him and I started a conversation explaining who I was and that I metal detected for relics as a hobby and as soon as I said I was looking around this little park he excitedly asked if I had found his ring! He was in disbelief and was very shocked that I had found it and took the time to track him down and return it to him.

He tells me that he lost it 24 years ago during his senior year. His class went down to the park that is only a few miles from the school he attended. He said he knew he had lost it and the teacher and other students spent some time looking for it. Also a friend from church went there with his detector but didn't have any luck on the recovery. He figured it was lost forever. I was thanked several times and he even offered to pay me. I told him his thanks was plenty enough.

It was a thrill to find this but I enjoyed finding him and seeing his reaction to a ring he never though he would see again. I've always wanted to do this and I am so happy I got an opportunity. I love seeing when others have done the same. It's such a fun and rewarding hobby that never gets old even after many years of searching for treasures! HH-David

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
    2748 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Great story and wonderful job Dave! Congrats on a successful and rewarding return!!

Definite Honorable Mention!
    Last edited by Erik in NJ; Nov 12, 2020 at 12:26 AM.
    billb, Sooper Dave and JVA5th like this.

Dec 2014
    Far North Corner of CA
    AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
    1486 times
    I'm learning
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Congratulations on your first class ring, your first return, and what I hope will be your first honorable mention. You deserve it for sure! Honorable Mention from me.
    billb and Sooper Dave like this.
    An Ode
    To William Jefferson Clinton

He smoked but didn't inhale
    Poked, but didn't impale
    Made aware of the dress
    He was forced to confess
    A snail can't deny his own trail

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    5265 times
    Awesome job, I enjoyed my class ring return I made, It does make you feel good. Honorable mention.
    Last edited by Back-of-the-boat; Nov 12, 2020 at 12:36 AM.
    billb, Sooper Dave and Greastart like this.
    back of the boat

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    5661 times
    excellent job. I've been able to return 2 class rings and it's a great feeling
    Sooper Dave likes this.

May 2017
    1639 times
    Dude... pure AWESOME! You've got some incredible karma coming your way! Kudos.

us
    Feb 2020
    Eastern Ohio
    XP Deus * Minelab E-Trac
    860 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow Dave ... a great story - well done !
    XP Deus * 9" LF & X35 Coils * Deteknix Headphones
    Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny *** 1736 - K.G. Half Penny *** 1783 - Half Real *** 1787 - Connecticut Copper
    1817 - Large Cent *** 1829 - Capped Bust Dime *** 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime *** 1852 - Three Cent *** 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent *** 1865 - Two Cent *** 1872 - Shield Nickel *** 1877 - Seated Quarter

us
    Mark

Jan 2016
    NE Ohio
    Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
    3219 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Honorable mention.
    Welcome to the club.
    Sooper Dave likes this.

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    10377 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Great story
    Sooper Dave likes this.
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 20
    Half Reals = 31
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars
    Civil War Plates
    VA Militia Cross Belt, CS Tongue, CS Wreath, VMM, US Box, Model 1851 Sword, Militia Plate w/Star

us
    Jul 2020
    Missouri
    96 times
    That is cool
    Sooper Dave likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Western CT
    AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
    3117 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Well done! It's always a great feeling to successfully track down an owner of lost jewelry and return it!
    Sooper Dave and Greastart like this.

Cleaning Up The Planet...One Pull Tab At A Time.

us
    Jul 2012
    USA
    Minelab E-Trac
    3266 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in NJ View Post
    Great story and wonderful job Dave! Congrats on a successful and rewarding return!!

Definite Honorable Mention!
    Thanks Erik!

us
    Jul 2012
    USA
    Minelab E-Trac
    3266 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greastart View Post
    Congratulations on your first class ring, your first return, and what I hope will be your first honorable mention. You deserve it for sure! Honorable Mention from me.
    I appreciate it!

us
    Jul 2012
    USA
    Minelab E-Trac
    3266 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-of-the-boat View Post
    Awesome job, I enjoyed my class ring return I made, It does make you feel good. Honorable mention.
    Thanks and nicely done on your return.
    Back-of-the-boat likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links