[HONORABLE MENTION] Silver bracelet with charms made from British Sixpence!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Silver bracelet with charms made from British Sixpence!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    Minelab Equinox 800 XP Deus
    2416 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Silver bracelet with charms made from British Sixpence!

Hello everyone! Right up front I want to acknowledge that this bracelet was not found today. I found it a few weeks ago at the dairy farm mentioned here: Shoe Buckle Frame and two IHC's from a new dairy farm permission

However, today I returned to the dairy farm and talked with the farm owner about the bracelet because I've been doing some research on the item.

The first thing that's cool about this bracelet is that the chain itself is sterling silver. At first I thought this was just another silver charm bracelet. I was wrong.
    The second cool thing is that the bracelet has charms, and the charms have dates. I think we all love items with names/dates because they make the item personal. (More on the dates in a moment)

But for me the coolest thing about the bracelet was what I noticed as I looked more closely at the charms themselves. "Behind" the date inscriptions were some other letters, and as I looked with a magnifying glass the word "SIXPENCE" became visible. It didn't take too long to realize that there was a whole design on the "charm".

And then I realized that the charm was actually a repurposed British sixpence coin (50% silver). The date of the coin on the August charm is even visible: 1944.

How freakin' cool is that?!? Someone made a bracelet by repurposing British coins! (All four charms are made from sixpence coins.)
    Apparently coin jewelry is a thing, though I don't know how commonplace it is.

As for this specific piece, I learned from the farm owner that the bracelet came from the jewelry box of his aunt which was accidentally spilled at some point in the past.
    And from my research it looks like the dates are related to the parents of the aunt (birth of father in 1913, mother in 1920. We're not 100% sure about the 1940 dates; they're too close together to be child births. We think engagement/marriage).

I've found a lot of very cool items over the past few years with my metal detector, but this has to rank right up there as one of the coolest.
    I gave the bracelet back to the farm owner, of course. I made up a Google Doc (screen shot included below) and gave that to the owner along with the bracelet. He and his girlfriend seemed genuinely excited, and they said they were going to talk to the aunt about the piece being recovered.

While it would have been cool to have that bracelet in my collection I felt strongly it needed to be back with the family who originally owned it. For my own collection I bought two 1944 British sixpence coins and put them in a flip with a notation about the bracelet, so that when I'm older it'll trigger the memory.

Thanks for taking a look!

- Brian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yNab2Y1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	1945866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1ndJJm.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	798.0 KB 
ID:	1945867

Name:	TuH6jpy.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1,019.3 KB 
ID:	1945857

Name:	ZlHj98o.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	1945868

us
    Nov 2018
    Equinox 600
    2195 times
    Metal Detecting
    Awesome find Brian! Very unique piece. I’m sure the family is delighted. Btw, was the recovery performed by the Equinox or the Deus?
    When in doubt dig it out!

Check out my page at the link below.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/se...rchid=25055381

us
    Kevin

Oct 2020
    Western Nevada
    Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+
    1654 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Wow, very cool find!
    brianc053 likes this.

us
    Jan 2021
    Southwest Florida
    Minelab Equinox 600
    379 times
    Cool find, congrats! Good story and return.
    brianc053 likes this.

That is a really unique and cool find. It is a piece any one of us would love to add to our collection. I have voted honorable mention for returning it the the place it really does belong. You are a good person. Great job, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
    brianc053 and Lenrac2 like this.
    If you’re not digging trash you are missing treasure.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Aug 2017
    SW Missouri/Oklahoma
    Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800
    19557 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Cool!!! Congrats!!!
    What would life be without challenges, and detecting of course.....

Very cool personal find - congrats.

To answer this;
    ''Apparently coin jewelry is a thing, though I don't know how commonplace it is.''

Very common place in this period. Most common is bracelets out of silver 3
    pence's & pendants out of cut out coins.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    Have pleasant times finding pleasant things. 17/01/21
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    7372 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great to be able to put a date with things we find. Nice gesture to give up the bracelet to the land owner. Gary
    pepperj and brianc053 like this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    50690 times
    Relic Hunting
    Very cool recovery and return Brian, I put in a Honorable Mention vote as well,
    brianc053 likes this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    2416 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scolino View Post
    Awesome find Brian! Very unique piece. I’m sure the family is delighted. Btw, was the recovery performed by the Equinox or the Deus?
    Found it with the Deus, Scolino. I was using the Deus because I was up close to the house and there was various bits of aluminum to sort through. The jewelry box was apparently "knocked off" the front porch into the yard, although the bracelet was far enough from the porch to have needed some force to get it out there. I wonder if there's more to the jewelry box story that the family isn't telling me....

- Brian
    Lenrac2 likes this.

us
    Bob and Denise

Apr 2021
    Illinois
    Denise-garrett apex and whites coinmaster Bob- Nox800 and Garrett AT Max
    1212 times
    Metal Detecting
    Cool bracelet and cool story! Good on you for returning it. I bet the aunt was heartbroken to lose such a personal piece of jewelry!

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    6255 times
    very cool. I don't see any mention of it, so I'll point out the obvious.... the coins have been cut into a heart, diamond, spade, and club. Besides it being the four suits of a deck of cards, I wonder what the significance was to the owner?
    Lenrac2 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    2416 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by jewelerguy View Post
    very cool. I don't see any mention of it, so I'll point out the obvious.... the coins have been cut into a heart, diamond, spade, and club. Besides it being the four suits of a deck of cards, I wonder what the significance was to the owner?
    Oh my gosh - I honestly didn't even notice that. When I looked at it I thought it was two hearts, a diamond and....whatever the August one is. I did not make the connection to the suits in a deck of cards.
    I would ask the family about this detail - one more detail that makes this bracelet so cool - but it appears that the family members I'm talking to are pretty far-removed from the family member that owned this bracelet. I get the impression that there are some...complex family dynamics that no one wants to mess with. So I can only push so hard for info (despite my burning curiosity!).

Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    Very cool personal find - congrats.

To answer this;
    ''Apparently coin jewelry is a thing, though I don't know how commonplace it is.''

Very common place in this period. Most common is bracelets out of silver 3
    pence's & pendants out of cut out coins.
    Thanks for this information Crusader. Obviously the 1940's in Europe were a time of turmoil. Did people use coins as components in jewelry because they were easier to come by than raw precious metals?

- Brian
    Lenrac2 likes this.

''Thanks for this information Crusader. Obviously the 1940's in Europe were a time of turmoil. Did people use coins as components in jewelry because they were easier to come by than raw precious metals?''

Good question, I can only guess the same as you. We stopped putting silver in coins by 1946, so any silver coins before this date became more desirable & were still in circulation to be used for other purposes.
    brianc053 likes this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    Have pleasant times finding pleasant things. 17/01/21
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
    2568 times
    Great finds and back story, Brian! Congratulations on the finds and on returning the bracelet to family members. Thanks for your search and actions!
    Lenrac2 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links