Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I was very fortunate to be able to return a class ring to the owner. Well the lady told lots of people and some one called the local news paper and they wanted to do a story about it.Well I did not really want to go through all of that until the lady that I returned the ring to called and was very excited about it so I said I would. I am glad that I did because I also found another class ring from 1927 and I brought it to the interview and they put the information in the article.My phone rang off the hook for the next couple of days with people that had information and the initials were on the ring along with GHS 27. There was only one match for that year in the school records and they were for a lady that had moved from North Dakota to California many years ago. Her Nephew called me with lots of good information and I also got the phone number for her niece who happened to work on base as a nurse. I contacted her and gave her the ring .The lady who lost it past away a couple of years ago at the age of 95 she had one son who lives in Montana and the niece is sending the ring to him with his yearly Christmas card. I called the local news paper and told them thank you for putting the information out there because if it were not for them I would have not found the family.
The paper did a follow up story on sunday but I did not even know about it till some one in town mentioned it a couple of days later. Even though the lady has passed away ,the son has two daughters that will probably end up with the ring so I still consider it a happy ending. The paper is a great way to find right full owners of rings and such.I never thought this ring would make it to any family members. Hope all are staying warm and Merry Christmas to all .

Attachments

• Oct27_03classring.jpg
    Oct27_03classring.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,338
  • Oct27_03classring.jpg
    Oct27_03classring.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,287
OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1927 class ring returned to owners family

Here is the story ..

The search for the owner of an 80-year-old class ring found near a rural school north of Minot has ended.

Metal hunter Trent Nunley of Lansford now is two-for-two in reuniting lost class rings with their owners. Although the owner of the 1927 ring is no longer living, Nunley was able to return the ring to her family.

Nunley, who has been stationed at Minot Air Force Base since February, located the ring near the former Chatfield Township school in Bottineau County using a metal detector. The school is about 10 miles east of U.S. Highway 83 on the way to Upham.

The silver-colored ring bore the initials E.S.H. and indicated the owner was a 1927 graduate of GHS. His search for the owner was mentioned in The Minot Daily News on Nov. 8 in an article about his find of a 1964 Mohall class ring belonging to Arnola Leverson of Minot. He found that ring in Mohall and got lucky in an Internet search in tracing the initials A.L. to Leverson, whose maiden name was Lohse.

As for the 1927 ring, Nunley said his phone started ringing as soon as the article appeared.

“I had a lot of people call me, and it was very helpful,” Nunley said. “There was only one person it could be.”

That person was Eleanore (Helgeson) Carpenter, who grew up about two miles from the school and graduated from Glenburn High School. Carpenter died at age 95 less than two years ago. She had been living in California.

Thanks to information from callers, Nunley was able to contact Carpenter’s niece, Marilyn Luebke of Sherwood. Luebke plans to deliver the ring to Carpenter’s son in Montana.

Luebke said the family was unaware of any lost ring and isn’t sure how the loss occurred. The Chatfield school closed in the late 1950s so the ring likely was lost on the grounds before that time.

Luebke, who grew up in the same farm home as Carpenter, said it’s uncertain whether Carpenter lost the ring at the school or inadvertently left it in the family home for other youngsters to find, play with and carry to the school grounds.

However the loss occurred, the ring is in surprisingly good condition after all these years, and it’s finally back where it belongs.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1927 class ring returned to owners family

Great job! Now it's time for something good to happen to you! Karma....Steve

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WAY TO GO BIRDMAN!

That's a great story. I look forward to the day I find a class ring so I can do the same thing.

Great job,
Nat

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never found a class ring before and then got lucky and found two in about two weeks. Now if can find a whole pocket watch I would be set. And maybe a gold coin. ;D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Birdman....Awesome story!!! 2 for 2....That's great to see thing's like this get the attention they deserve,make's us all look good.Great Job and Merry Christmas to you and yours...Joe

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
That ought to keep you warm this Christmas. Great job on both rings.

The satisfaction derived from returning lost items is the Main Event; but you might also get some "referral" or PR fallout from the article. Might help get some permissions on future sites, and I hope it does. You deserve it.

And since you're on a class ring roll, maybe you can find mine. A girl named Jackie chucked it in the river over in Grand Rapids after she heard I'd been down in Kalamazoo on a Saturday necking with my buddy's sister Cindy.
I didn't tell Pop, who fronted for the ring. $66 was a lot of change in the sixties.

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Trent

Nice writeup and the right thing to do.

Surprised that you did not get a bunch of calls from locals wanting you to find their lost stuff

HH

Sanat

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I have got a few of those. So far two wanting me to look for class rings,one ingagement and an old gentlemen said he needs to find a coffee can buried by a well that has been there about 100 years.He did not tell me what was in it.LOL I tell them when the ground thaws but I can't promise anything. I have also got some nice leads so it has worked out pretty good. :)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Way to go, birdman! You'll reap the benefits of that ring, for sure, and rightfully so.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic story! Congrats on the class ring & return. Very cool!!! ;D
-MM-

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Good for you Birdman.
Finding and returning a class ring was one of the goals I completed this year too.Sure is fun.
HH,Jim

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birdman...great job on the finds and returns!!!! I;ve been lucky enough to find a few rings and return them as well, this summer I found one from 1957 and not only found out who it belonged to, but it ended up being my wife's aunts H.S. ring so that return was extra special. Nice to see an article that puts a good light on our hobby and great people like yourself make that happen and promote our hobby very well....GREAT job!!!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Trent, you did a great job shining some light on the hobby, thanks and a great job! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread