18K GOLD RING FOUND AND RETURNED

christ-first

Mar 20, 2008
Sweet Home Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Again, this is not a todays find, but this is where I have been posting. So here goes. Unfortunately there are no pics for this story. I will tell you why shortly. Several years ago, back before I quit the metal detecting club that made the sport so miserable for me, I knocked on a door of a house down the street from where I live and asked for permission to hunt their yard for coins. Permission was granted and the home owner asked my name. She said she had a relative way down the line in the family by that name, he was an eye doctor and had died of cancer years ago. That eye doctor turned out to be my dad ! what are the odds ? anyway, I started swinging the coil and ended up finding several wheats, a couple of Indian heads and a few silver mercs and rosies. I received a very smooth sound from my tesoro silver saber two. I dug down about 4” and it was still in the hole. I dug down another 3” and I saw a glint of gold in the bottom of the hole. I pulled it up, wiped of the dirt and saw a persons name inscribed in script text with a date of 1928 and 18k on the inside ! The top of the ring had an odd looking Masonic symbol on it. I asked the lady if it belonged to her husband and she said no and that I could keep it. That next week, I contacted the local Masonic lodge and asked if they could locate that person or that persons family. They asked if I would bring the ring up there so they could see it. When I got there, they told me that it was a 32nd degree Masonic ring and that the person had passed away several years ago, but they had the name and number to that persons adopted son ! I called the son and told him that I think I had found his dads ring. he said don’t describe the ring, let me describe it to you first. He described the ring to the T in full detail and went on to tell me how when he was a little boy, he remembered touching that ring on his dads hand everytime his dad held his hand while taking him for a walk. We set up a time to meet for him to pick up the ring. He immediately broke into tears when I placed it in his hand. My former employer was there with me and took pictures of the ring and of me handing the ring to the adopted son. Several months passed by, and I asked my former employer about the pictures, and he said that he had developed them and lost them. I just thought I would share this story with all of you. I will never forget how good it felt to place that ring in that mans hand. God bless. - PICS OF PAST FINDS STILL TO COME IN NEAR FUTURE.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Great find & an even greater gesture on your part to seek out the owner & return that ring.
I'm sure the feeling you got when you saw what it meant to his son was worth more than
money. No one can be respected as much as an honest man. Thanks for the story.

johnmed3

Greenie
May 10, 2008
Dallas TX
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
Great story and god bless! I' know this was worth way more than whatever amount of cash the ring might have been sold for Kudos :icon_sunny: !!!

Johnny42

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2008
PITTSBURGH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Touching story. I admire that you sought after the owner and didn't just keep it.

Thanks for makin' my day a little better!

JW :icon_king:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it's amazing how finding just one innocent ring can bring memories of a lifetime
kudos

Sniffer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread