Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After much needed rain this past week from Faye, I decided to go to the blue barn on Tuesday. And yes, it was muddy! :tongue3: But I decided to hang in there since digging was so doggone easy. Haven't had this kind of easy digging for a long while here. The clouds were going and coming and bringing rain showers with them. I found myself spending most of my time under the shelter of the barn instead of hunting though. :P :D I ended up with a half a tax token and a bunch of junque. I finally give up and put my wet muddy self in the truck and headed for home. Well on my way home I notice a site that we've hunted before was no longer there! Wednesday was a planned hunting day for Lisa and myself and we had already decided to go to a certain site, but after seeing this, we had to check it out. :thumbsup:

Here's what it looked like on the first hunt...

100_0508.jpg

100_0510.jpg

And here's what it looks like now.... :-\

100_1528.jpg

100_1533.jpg

So sad to see it go. They dug a big hole and plowed it over into the hole and burned it.

100_1536.jpg

Now the first time we hunted here no one found anything before the 40's. Only wheat pennies and tax tokens. Yesterday we hit the mud running. Of course digging through all the scattered metal everywhere was a challenge but we managed a wheat here and there and tax token or two. I eyed a nice marble, so that was a highlight. I'll add that finding the marbles was a bit more difficult too, as there was a big ole cherry tree that was dropping its fruit all over the place and they looked like pretty red marbles. :P
100_1538.jpg

After being there for a couple of hours, we took a break and sat down for a quick lunch. Now...I put on my glasses, (that I don't wear while I hunt cause when I look down it makes me dizzy and I look like a drunk staggering around :-X) I take a look at the ground around where I'm sitting. Whoa! Another marble! And then another one! I tell Lisa that I'm finding more keepers by putting on those glasses and just walking/staggering around! :D Sure enough, not 30 seconds later, I find a military dog tag! My first! I immediately start thinking about how I'm going to find out the who, what, when and where on it. We went back to hunting after a few uneventful minutes and stayed another hour or so. (I kept my glasses on and Lisa promised to come and help me up if I fell over. :D ) I ended up with a handful of marbles, the tag, two wheats and some change, a tootsie toy and other miscellaneous stuff. After getting home, we start looking for the name on the tag and I'm pretty sure I've found him in the SS death index. Passed away in 1986. :-\ I put in a call to one of the land owners around the area and hopefully they can put me in contact with the family. We'll see what happens. :)

100_1540-1.jpg

100_1546.jpg

Since we've not found anything older than the 1940's here, I was puzzled as to why. The old home looked much older than the finds. ??? This morning I got the maps out, and see that there wasn't anything here before the 40's. ??? Wonder if this house had been moved here from somewhere else? It just looked so much older than the finds.
Have a great day and find somethin' good!

Nana :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Re: A First For Me....

As usual nice stuff Nana!!!!!!!!

I don't find many marble but BB does. Maybe it's because he lost all his own... ::)

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007

Looks like you had a great time.

Good luck with finding the family for the dog tag.

HH

Old_Okie

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Nice digs Nana...Too bad alot of those types of hunting grounds are going down in ashes... :( jgas

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat post nana. You're right...strange there wasn't some older coind there ???

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

Old_Okie said:
Looks like you had a great time.

Good luck with finding the family for the dog tag.

Yep, Good luck on the search and cool finds.

HH

Old_Okie

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

You still got it,girl.Great staggering finds!I really like the little cap gun,as I had one just like it in the early 40's.Glad you told me about your glasses doing that to you,I won't tell everyone at this hunt that you are drunk again,but don't carry that wine bottle around while you have your glasses on anymore.See ya soon.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Nice job, Nana, eyeballing all those marbles! Sometimes when detecting, having a good set of eyes is better than a good set of ears!

Good luck on your return of the military tag! Nice photos too!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrat's on your first "tag" Nana...I wish you luck on returning it to someone,family member hopefully.I found one from a Colonel who was a chopper pilot in Nam,unfortunately there is no one left to return it too.Marble's are alway's cool :thumbsup: Congrat's and HH!!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Nana, what's the name on your capgun? Does it say, " Hawkeye"? Or does it say, " Dick" Like either of these two. Anyways nice finds.....Not GE

Attachments

• Hawkeye.jpg
    Hawkeye.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,965
  • DICK TRACY.jpg
    DICK TRACY.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,977

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WTG Nanster! :thumbsup:

That's a Dick Tracy cap gun..I found one a while back too! I also found that same model Tootsie! The popular toys of that era really made the rounds across the country.

It's great you're going to try to locate the family of that GI..the family will have quite a story to tell if it ever gets back to them.

Nat

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Oops, I should have looked closer, It is Definitely a "Dick Tracy" Model.....Not GE

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nana, cool stuff! Finding a DT is on my wish list :) I hope you can find the next of kin. . . that would be so neat!

Sometimes the "looks" of a house can really be deceiving. . .

Take care,
watercolor

toolman61

May 31, 2008

I agree that house sure looked older in the first pics. You still came away with some neat finds and it would probably be worth hunting again. HH Tom

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Nana,
That's some hard huntin', through the trash of a demolished building. Nice finds you have there! The toys are great!! Congrats on the great hunt! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

nice finds!!!!! you girls did great :thumbsup:

very sweet and cool you finding the Dog Tag and trying to return it. if you hit a road block let me know I have access to military records for all the branches and can possibly find you a next of kin name/address.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bridge End Farm said:
nice finds!!!!! you girls did great :thumbsup:

very sweet and cool you finding the Dog Tag and trying to return it. if you hit a road block let me know I have access to military records for all the branches and can possibly find you a next of kin name/address.
:thumbsup:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow I am so happy you were able to get out and find some easy digging and very cool stuff!
So when your takin a break now be sure to reach for the glasses ... and hide the wine bottle! ;D

Talk to you in chat in a bit!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Nice going Nana!!! Those are some of my favorite kinds of places. Go back soon and take a rake-not the leaf kind. That's a sifting site if I ever saw one. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread