1947 Class ring return to owner

davehws44

Sep 9, 2008
I just began metal detecting at Christmas and have mostly found change at different play grounds but a couple of Saturdays ago I found a 1947 Tunnelton, IN class ring at a local elementary school that was built in 1989. It was a females and had the intials IMW in the inside of the ring. It was 18k and made by a company called Balfour. I thought it would be pretty cool to find the owner of the ring so I began my search. I went to the local historical society and looked up the graduates of 1947. There was only 17 and one was named Irma Williams. So I then got on the internet and searched our local papers data base. I found an obit with the name of Irma Sears. She was born in Tunnelton and her maiden name was Williams. She had passed away in Feb 2007. But her husband Merlin was still alive and in the local phone book. I called him and he said she had graduated from Tunnelton High School in 1947. I asked to meet with him and returned the ring to him. He was very thankful and said she always wore the ring until her fingers became to large to wear it. The ring was very worn. He had no explantion for how the ring got to the playground. He said they had looked for the ring for a couple of years before she died. I had alot of fun finding the owner and felt like I returned apart of his wifes legacy where it belonged. Dave

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
good deeds like this is exactly what makes our hobby the finest in the world! You certainly gave this family a good taste of metal detecting.... one I am sure they will not forget for many years to come.. thanks for making us all look good

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hats off to you!! Great Job. Tell your local paper about it, perhaps they will do a story about it, it is good PR for the hobby. I found a HS ring that had initials and a date (I think in the 20's or 30's) years ago in Smithfield, NC. I went to the courthouse and found out who had lived in the vacant lot back in the day when there was a house there. The owner had passed away years ago, but he had children that still lived in town. He called a daughter and we met. I gave her the ring. Her dad was the old Police Chief of Smithfield. He apparently had the ring cut down so his daughter could wear it. She said she had gotten real sick and lost weight and the ring fell off and was lost, this was like in the 50's or 60's. She called the newspaper and told them and they did a story on it. That was a good feeling to return the ring. She even called her brother who was in a wheelchair and he came to the house to meet me. Good stuff. Bryan in Goldsboro

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure her husband was very grateful. Nice story with a very good outcome. Now the good Karma will follow.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Dave, That's what this hobby is all about. :wink: Good karma is on teh way amigo :icon_sunny:

Acevillav

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you were able to return it to her family. Apparently it meant a lot to her and I am sure that there wasn't a lot of females that graduated back in those days especially after the war. So she might of been the first female of her family to complete an education.

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going Dave. You are made from the stuff heros are made of.

My hero moment was when my step daughter came to me after she lost a very special ring she inherited from Granny, after she died. My stepdaughter was hanging the laundry out to dry on the clothes line. The ring left her finger... she heard it hit the basket... she couldn't find it. A long time looking for it in the area where she lost it was a bust. Expanding the search area finally paid off.

I know the feeling. :icon_salut:

TimC

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, welcome to the TNET.

TimC

Attachments