BrownBear

Jan 31, 2010
Roswell,GA
Detector(s) used
ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gang,

I just moved to Roswell, Ga and I am getting ready to go on a couple of hunts with my club. Since I have never hunted the back yard I though I would give COIN POPPING a try today. I did get the coin out the ground ,but made a mess too. I guess I need more pratice. Here is a link on how to do it .

Ps. Do you guys have success coin popping??????

Thanks,

Brown Bear ;D

Attachments

• coin[1].JPG
    coin[1].JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,210
  • coin[2].JPG
    coin[2].JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,178

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I can see many a gouged and scratched coin if I attempted it.

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
yes i us coin popping or probing alot at schools and parks its quick and easy on shallow coins long blade flat screw driver away you go

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a
No I don't coin pop!.....it makes a mess and destroys your find. The truth is a larger deep plug taken causes virtually no damage. Also don't "pop" during dry or drought conditions. Some may not agree, but you'll never see where I have been.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I believe someone on here recently obtained a permit to hunt a city park where the only allowed digging tool was a screwdriver. Interesting. :dontknow:

Where I hunt (old fields, foundations, cellar holes) it just doesn't seem do-able for me and you could easily kill a Colonial coin at 10" with that method. Whew. :help:

HH all!

Greg

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
before i bought a pinpointer probe i always coin popped in grassy areas.i don't know how i dug so many coins years ago using this method.i will never go back after buying my vibra probe.buy a probe dude! trust me..so much faster and easier! :thumbsup:

dirtfishing

May 28, 2005
Everywhere
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
When I lived in Boise ID, that was the only method permitted by the Parks Dept there. Doesn't work for me, as most the Coins I am after are in the 6-10 inch range. I dig a solid plug, remove my target, and replace the plug.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of special made tools that were given to me by an old gent I met not too long ago. One is a probe with a ball on the tip and the other is a spoon shaped instrument used for the actual prying out of the coin. They are both made of brass so as not to damage the coin. I have tried it a few times but haven't been able to do very good. Others here on the forum report that it is a fairly routine practice they use on manicured lawns. I kept hitting rocks and things like slivers of broken glass instead of the coin! Monty

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I perfected the screwdriver, stab...then rotate in a circle motion.....but I found that hunting this way, I was neglecting deeper signals, so I went to pinpointer and bulb spade. Great for coin shooting for newer coins though, but I damaged quite a few. Also great for learning a coil, and light weight for hike in areas.

happy hunting,
jorge del norte

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting for over 40 years
but I have never been much of a coin popper.
I have successfully popped a few,
but the keyword here is 'few.'
My hat is off to any man or woman who can successfully
pull this off time after time.
Perhaps I am too much of a relic hunter to master the
niceties of coin shooting.
As age and physical condition is making it had to me
to chase relics, perhaps it is about time I learned.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I'll coin-pop if I'm in a heavily hunted area, looking for shallow targets. I don't see it as any more damaging than plugging, and often less so. You need good pinpointing though, and I only do it if I expect to either spend the coins or sell for scrap metal value. Sadly, that means most of the time.

DingoDon

Greenie
Jun 25, 2010
Been detecting since the early 1980's and coin popping with a screwdriver is the only method I use in parks and school grounds. I can remove a coin from down to 5", or a little more, quickly and you will not see where I removed it. Dip the end of screwdriver in liquid plastic coating to protect coin. You have to learn to be precise in pinpointing to do this. Of course this method will not get the really deep coins but is great for getting the clad out quickly and neatly.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Impressive video with precission. When working with more of a solid ground/soil like back in Kentucky I generally dug a round plug up and then replace plug afterwards. Where I live now,Florida the ground is basically just sand and silt, it's more difficult to dig an actual plug but easier to penetrate through for your finds. :icon_pirat:
Still an impressive and smooth video.

Bobby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread