Gopro for MD videos???

kaczor777

Mar 1, 2013
ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Currently using Garrett AT Pro. Soon switching to XP Deus
Hey guys,
During the holidays I'm planning to go to Poland and do some metal detecting. I thought it would be nice if I made some videos, shared them on YouTube and earn some money for uni. The problem is though, I don't know what camera would do the job best. I thought a gopro hero 3+ or 4 black but I don't know if it's good for MD? Please let me know guys what you think and what camera you use when recording.
Thanks guys.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with GP's, at least with mine, is no zoom or display screen, I think I have the cheapest GP they make, video is good in 1080, I use the chest mount and it works pretty well, just have to hold your finds real close to the lens, 4 to 5 inches, Ive only done 2 videos, came out ok, they are watchable I suppose. A friend of mine uses an Olympus TG3 video cam and loves it.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a GoPro quite a bit (some of my videos with it are under user tess99991 on Youtube). I like how small it is, but with detecting can be difficult to use for "great video". You don't know right away if you got the shot you wanted. If it is in its case, not great for sound. As said by Tedyoh, no zoom. Really, what I am now considering is to use it and edit the heck out of my footage, but take a small digital for the must have or main shots.

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
If you d cider to use a GoPro, you can buy a LCD screen for the back so you can see. I believe they also make a app for mobile devices. I've seen lots of YouTube videos where they attach it to their hats, chests or detectors. If you have an mobile device (android or iOS phone) just use that. The editing is what brings it all together. You don't have to film the every thing. It's a lot like reality TV, you get a good signal...before you dig it or pop that coin...break out with the camera and then film it. Just remember, don't get so caught up on in capturing every moment you end up not having a good time detecting...at the end of the day...it's what it's all about!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would think it would be ok. I use it for surfing and its awesome for that but for MD it seems like it would be a pain and not too great.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GP 4 silvers have a display built in. You will want to buy a multi-mounting kit and an adjustable clamp arm. You want to be versatile in your mounting options. The GP4s are also compatible to a GoPro phone app which lets you remotely start and stop as well as seeing what the camera is seeing, so that head and chest mounts can be set properly.

Lastly, shoot WAAAAAY more video than you think you need. It's better to have too much than not enough. Plan on spending at least 4 times the actual hunt time for editing. You are constantly watching and re-watching, and cutting it down more and more until you have a final video you are happy with.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have an Olympus TG-870 and love it. It has a screen (even flippable) and is completely waterproof. I only have it a for two weeks now but it's awesome, never going back to action cameras. If you want to take a look was shot with it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Olympus TG-870 and love it. It has a screen (even flippable) and is completely waterproof. I only have it a for two weeks now but it's awesome, never going back to action cameras..

Don't rely on just one, use both! Set up the GP to record you, and then use the Olympus for the detail shots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread