Spring Turkey and honors bestowed...

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
...oh, yeah what a title. lol

the deal is...well somewhat of a story. Hey, that is what we're here for though, right?

After a stinkin' thief broke into our house years ago (I was 13 at the time, 1966) Dad took some of the ins. settlement money and purchased 3 identical model 1200 Winchesters. All in 16 gua. One went to Dad, then my oldest brother, last one went to me.
I hunted the heck out of Iowa as a youngster and that shotgun went everywhere with me. I shot everything that was legal to shoot including, rabbits, squirrels, ducks of all kinds as well as many geese. Quail, Deer (shotgun and percussion gun only in Ia.) coon, coyote, jackrabbit and a boatload of pheasant. back in the 60's and 70's.
Turkey, however were years away in the recovery program and sadly I was never able to hunt them in my native state.
Fast fwd to present. 2014...hunting spring turkey opener in Tx. with daughter #2.
After loaning Michelle my favorite turkey gun, I had every intent to finally get a turkey with my old sweet 16, then she would go into honorable retirement. Never to be used again and passed down at the proper time.
Well, the Gods were smiling as they presented me with a double. After the first bird hit the dirt, his buddy was milling around in confusion and he got a hot load of # 4s for his trouble. Jakes, maybe, but they sure tasted good.
Hell Yeah!!! gun is in retirement and all is well.

DSC00771.JPG

DSC00766.JPG

lets hear your turkey hunt story.

bravo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions