Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out on one of the larger lakes 2 days ago, the vexilar was marking some decent life down below, pulled out an 18 inch brown trout followed by some small yellow perch. For those of you who ice fish be careful, I ran into some scary thin ice holes that are much thinner than the majority of the lake. These areas freeze later due to either wind or a flock of geese hanging out preventing ice from forming. When the geese go elsewhere, the holes freeze overnight but are thin yet. Look for color variations in the ice, pressure ridges and fissures and most importantly, gray ice with a lot of air bubbles. I tell ya that Vexilar FL20 is like playing a live video game on the ice, easily get addicted!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to fish but ice fishing that just isnt for me. If I was meant to walk on water they would have wrote a big book about me.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure it beats being shacked up in the house all winter!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ! again !
What where when....
I have never seen an "ice fish"
Are they good eating ?
Is that an up north fish ?
Do you have to let them "thaw" before eating ?
Sheesh... we have no ice fish here... bummer man.

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
Most of the lakes around where I live have at least 12 inches of ice now. The Midwest Open Ice Fishing Tournament was last week end. Top prize was $20,100.00. Not to shabby.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This pic was taken about 10 years ago. It was one of the good days, when there's lakers in the hole, and the beer tastes good.

A couple weeks later it was cold cold COLD! Me and my buddy were out on the ice and the wind was blowing ice and snow off the lake sideways. I was wearing about $1000-worth of high quality weather gear, and I was still cold. I couldn't keep the ice out of the hole, and out of my rod guides, and I stood there and told myself that I wasn't having fun anymore. I packed up my stuff and walked off the ice, and I never went icefishing again.

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higgy I sympathize and understand your decision. Nice fish though. Might have been more than 10 years ago now. Up on Quabbin wind cranking down through the islands, 18" solid ice, holes freezing so fast you couldn't keep up. Bundled up to stay warm, but then bust a sweat drilling through the ice with the auger just to start freezing because now you are damp. It is much easier to drive down to the market and get fish there. That and freshwater fishing license prices are stupid expensive.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We do a lot of liquid-water fishing up here, Dak. Winter time now is for us to whine about it here on Tnet! Haahaa!

Yeah I love to fish, but I rarely fish by myself. Always had my son with me, and now that he's married and baby on the way, he's got less and less time with his old man. Sad really, because he's been my #1 fishing buddy since he was a wee lad. So I detect now. :dontknow:

Love Quabbin. Nice lake. I'd love to dive for treasure there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread