Zuni Pot

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I was walking thru the local flea market, when I saw a table marked 50cents...just had to go look...Found a pot that I thought was misplaced, couldn't believe my eyes...it was a Zuni pot that I had in my hot, grubby hands...asked the vendor about it and she toldme that I could have it for the fifty cents...I tried to tell her what it was, but she said that she didn't care, just wanted the fifty cents... Sent it off to Bill Jackson to have it authenticated, got back a COA and a standing offer of 2500 dollars....

P

pippinwhitepaws

GREAT FIND...good price..lol can we see a picture?

Zuni is one of the pueblos in new mexico...famous for their ceramics and design.

Attachments

• 01010002.JPG
    01010002.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,865

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Good for you and bad for the person selling it. Oh well,way to go :wav:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh well you tried to be straight* some folks just can't be told anything --her loss is your gain . ;D

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I imagine when your eyes started to pop and your mouth started to gibber at the same time in tongues possibly that this was the reason for her stoney silence or perhaps she was on the local mescaline.

OP
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the comments...as far as pics, as soon as I learn how to do that I will post a pic...I'm still computer stupid...lol

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
oldgoat said:
Thanks for the comments...as far as pics, as soon as I learn how to do that I will post a pic...I'm still computer stupid...lol

Welcome to the club. :P

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

S

seger98

Wow great find, is that like a gizzilion percent profit or something? ???

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I was watching Antiques Roadshow recently. A lady brought a Zuni pot in, turned out it was worth several thousand dollars as well.
Her mom had found it by the side of the road in Arizona some years ago.

AzHal

May 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
The lady that sold it to you was probably smoking Zuni pot. :tard:

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure it was stolen but good find.

OP
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
DeathHare, what possible reason would you have for thinking that the pot was stolen? Is every good find or price that you see because the piece was stolen? If so, you have a very cynical outlook on life...jmo

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.............NO..........IT PROBABLY WASN'T STOLEN............JUST LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ESPECIALLY AT THE FLEA MARKET.............IT PROBABLY CAME OUT OF AN ESTATE SALE AND IN ALL HONESTY THE SELLER JUST THOUGHT THAT IT WAS JUNK..............NO KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT THEY HAD.............JOE

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MalteseFalcon said:
I was watching Antiques Roadshow recently. A lady brought a Zuni pot in, turned out it was worth several thousand dollars as well.
Her mom had found it by the side of the road in Arizona some years ago.
I seen that on antique roadshow and it was between $10,000.00 to $25,000.00.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
this pot appears modern, it would be of value due to the name of who made it..

The one in AZ was of significant age..

P

pippinwhitepaws

the zuni pot in question was never posted...
i posted a modern example of zuni work to show a few who did not know what a zuni pot looked like.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find!!!!

It reminds me of the story of the guy who bought the world's largest saphire at a rock show for like $5.

I bought at a Salvation Army store a few years ago a silver nineteenth century Chinese box with dragons, marked for a whole 99 cents. It wasn't stolen, I felt like I didn't rip them off because that was the price they wanted. I didn't find the silver hallmarks until I got it in the car. They looked at the bottom and assumed it was modern junk. I found the marks inside the rim of the lid. Antique store said it could sell for $1000.

Great find for the price of 50 cents. There are many treasures out there, one just has to find them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions