1920 Merc Found!!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
When try a new detector, I usually take it to the field in front of church nearby, as an old school stood there from the 1880's to the 1950's. Well, I happened to take my new (at the time) Tesoro Golden Sabre II there, shortly after the church replaced the gravel drive with asphalt. I found an Indian cent, and very corroded Liberty nickle, and was looking along the edge of the new asphalt, where the dozer had made a bed for the new road, and about 20' in front of me, I saw something shining in the sun. Working toward it, I figured it was a new dime one of the workers lost. Imagine my surprise when I reached down and picked up a nearly perfect 1920 Mercury!! Boy, did I look gooood in that area! Alas, no more silver in that spot, but the dime more than made up for my time!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
This reminds me of over here in Bendigo in the golden triangle where a bulldozer was used to scrape a foot at a time and after each traverse nuggets were clearly visible exposed in the virgin soil. Just like a choc (gold ) chip cookie.

OP
OP
Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Pigiron, I'll bet you were in "hog" heaven for sure!!! LOL!!! No kidding though, I'd say you cleaned up on that deal!!! I couldn't imagine finding nuggets on the ground like that!! Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!! Great hunting and good luck! Regards, Richard.

OP
OP
Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks, everyone! I suppose I was very lucky to get what I did, before the asphalt went down! :thumbsup: Great hunting and good luck, all!! Regards, Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread