Holy smokes, Holy Bible, Holy money - UPDATE 8/5/09

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my Bro. in-law and I were en route to our chosen MDing spot this morning, about 6:30 am, and as we drove down the road I noticed a book in the road. So being the scrounge that I am I looked and no traffic was coming. I stopped jumped out and picked it up. I could see it was a book with some cash bills sticking out. I got back in the truck and the Bro. in-law says its a Holy Bible. We continued to look thru it and sure enough there were to pieces of paper money in it. There was a $5 and a $50. WOW LOL. We talked about it as we continued to our destination. Now I have to admit, the thought of keeping the money did cross my Christian heart, but I know me, and my guilty conscience would have eaten me alive. My Bro. in law said the same thing. Thank God we are both Christians and quickly discounted that idea. So after a little more reading of the many notes in the Bible we came across the owners name and several phone numbers. It was a little early but we called them hoping to catch someone at home. No luck. We arrived at our MDing spot and worked it until the heat drove us out at 1130 am and about 100 degrees.

Upon arrival at home I continued to call and found a young lady who knew the owner of this Bible. She took my phone number and within 30 minute the owner called and we now have a meeting planned so that these items can be returned.

I have included several pics. Now after looking over this Bible and all the notations in it I realize that I have a long way to go to being the studious Christian that this owner is. I was amazed at the pages and pages of notes. My praryer is "Lord help me to be more studious."

Thanks in advance for reading this story.

fccdfed

UPDATE 08/05/09

When I initially wrote this story I did have an appointment (Wednesday 7/29/09) with the Bible/money owner to return it. Unfortunately he did not show up or call that evening. I called him the next day and he stated he was unable to make it do to work and that we could pick another time. I immediately suggest Friday (7/31/09) at 9 am at the local Starbucks. So, just as I pulled up at Starbucks my cell phone rang and it was the owner who stated that he was working and unable to make it but that he would come by my home that evening and pick the items up. I told him that would be fine but to call prior to him coming so that I could be there to pick up his items. Well that was the last time I have heard from him. I will not call him again but I will put the items away so that if he ever calls or comes he can have them. I do not mind trying to help someone out in these type of situations but …. This one has gone far enough.

fccdfed

Attachments

• DSC00059.JPG
    DSC00059.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,114
  • DSC00060.JPG
    DSC00060.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,118
  • DSC00062.JPG
    DSC00062.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,115
  • DSC00063.JPG
    DSC00063.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,130
  • DSC00066.JPG
    DSC00066.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,148

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my bible stolen once

My bible was in my company truck in a leather case...a thief broke into the truck. I didn't even know it was broken into until a neighbor down the road brought it to me...said he found it in front of his house. Guess they thought they had a purse or something...opened it and found they had stolen a bible and dropped it like a hot potato! LOL

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Holy smokes, Holy Bible, Holy money

Glad you are able to return it. It looks well loved.

Keith--that is too funny about your bible. Talk about a great way to remind someone "thou shall not steal"!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep God has a wonderful sense of humor.

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250

May God and his Son "Jesus Christ" Bless both of you :icon_sunny: You both are Good people :angel7:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Maybe God put that Bible in your path because he knew you might need the 55 bucks.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim said:
Maybe God put that Bible in your path because he knew you might need the 55 bucks.

Since you returned it to the rightful owner you will be rewarded many times over. :thumbsup:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

GoodyGuy said:
Montana Jim said:

Since you returned it to the rightful owner you will be rewarded many times over. :thumbsup:

I don't return school rings either...

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

You were tempted by the devil to see if you would return the bible and the money...You won and the devil is upset....You did a great deed by returning it. The owner has more guts than I do..I could never bring myself to write in the Bible. I have notebooks full of notes that I should put in a binder some day. You will be blessed.

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
This thread is proof once again that you guys do not thoroughly read the initial post. The person NEVER came and picked up the Bible!

OP
OP
FCCDFEd

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gemee

I really don't understand what your comment concerns or what bearing it has on this thread. At the initial time of the post I had a meeting planned for 6pm that evening to return the items. I was fully and completely under the impression, as per the owner statements, that he was going to show up and receive his items. I made two more appointments with him attempting to return his items and he did not show up for them. I decide that they must not be that important to him and decided if he wanted them he could now call me and I would return them.

On August 5, 2009 I felt that it was necessary to update the situation of the owner being a no show. All of the comments posted before August 5, 2009 were based on the initial meeting taking place as quoted here “and within 30 minute the owner called and we now have a meeting planned so that these items can be returned. “

I am not sure if you are maligning the comments posted before August 5, 2009 or me for taking the attitude of “this one has gone far enough” or the owner of the items. If you are maligning the comments they were posted based on the initial information that I posted. Now, If you are maligning me that's OK because apparently we do not believe the same things or think the same ways, and if you are maligning the owner I am unable to comment any further than what I posted already.

I hope that this explains my position and that I did not misread or misunderstand your post.

fccdfed

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I believe you have misunderstood gmee's post which was not addressed to either yourself or the owner but to the
previous post by Ron(PA) where Ron said about yourself FCCDFEd "You did a great deed by returning it.".

Ron(PA), as gmee is suggesting, should have said "You did a great job by attempting to return it" .

No one here has doubted your honest character.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread