Found a 1948 or 49 Red Sox team signed ball in my attic.

Ragic

Nov 2, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Tesoro Silver Umax
My Family has owned this house since the 1930's My Mom now own's the house and has lived here all her life (70 years) It is a huge house with a full length attic. I thought I knew what was in every box in the attic but I was wrong. This past summer while I was on vacation, I was cleaning and putting things that were in cardboard boxes into plastic totes. In a box that held my Grandfathers old pay stubs and bank statements and various other paperwork, was an old baseball. I never seen it before so I brought it into the light for a better look. Well, after nearly having a heart attack on the spot, I did research on the net and came up with enough info to date it as either a 1948 or 1949 Boston Red Sox team signed ball. It has all the players including Ted Williams, Dom Dimagio, Johnny Pesky etc... But it also has Joe McCarthy, he became the Red Sox' manager in 1948 and came within a hair of winning a pennant that year and again in 1949, before retiring for good early in the 1950 season. And Ki Ki Cuyler who was a Boston Red Sox coach when he died suddenly, only 50 years old, before the 1950 season.

Attachments

• P1000115 (Small).JPG
    P1000115 (Small).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,764
  • P1000103 (Small).JPG
    P1000103 (Small).JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,756

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
WOW :o greta ball be sure to keep it in a cool dry palce out of direct sun light. I would have it appraised for insurance purposes. WTG !!!!! Ace-Villa-v

OP
OP
Ragic

Ragic

Nov 2, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
I'm hoping it's worth a fortune! But it costs a fortune to get an appraisal. I'll have to look for someone local that I can trust.

Steve

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it has been shellacked to preserve the signatures? Take it to card collectors shop. They usually have someone knowledgible about those things. Monty

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crazy!! Antique road show, here I come..

OP
OP
Ragic

Ragic

Nov 2, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
I still have not done anything with it. I bought a collector grade case for it and keep it in a safe place for now. That's it. I'll give an update soon.

Steve

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
Monty said:
Looks like it has been shellacked to preserve the signatures? Take it to card collectors shop. They usually have someone knowledgible about those things. Monty

Yes it does appear to be laquered , thats ok though as i seen one just like it on Pawn stars a week or two ago , the expert said she would be concerned it it wasnt laquered as that was the norm.

OP
OP
Ragic

Ragic

Nov 2, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Thanks Creeper I'll give them a try.

Steve

OhioFinds

Oct 15, 2012
lorain, Ohio
Detector(s) used
My eye's, hand's, and occasional shovel!! Basically, just my sixth sense!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Family has owned this house since the 1930's My Mom now own's the house and has lived here all her life (70 years) It is a huge house with a full length attic. I thought I knew what was in every box in the attic but I was wrong. This past summer while I was on vacation, I was cleaning and putting things that were in cardboard boxes into plastic totes. In a box that held my Grandfathers old pay stubs and bank statements and various other paperwork, was an old baseball. I never seen it before so I brought it into the light for a better look. Well, after nearly having a heart attack on the spot, I did research on the net and came up with enough info to date it as either a 1948 or 1949 Boston Red Sox team signed ball. It has all the players including Ted Williams, Dom Dimagio, Johnny Pesky etc... But it also has Joe McCarthy, he became the Red Sox' manager in 1948 and came within a hair of winning a pennant that year and again in 1949, before retiring for good early in the 1950 season. And Ki Ki Cuyler who was a Boston Red Sox coach when he died suddenly, only 50 years old, before the 1950 season.

OMG!!! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions