Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I've been coming in and reading all of your (mostly) Fantastic posts for about a year now. Since I recently found that I don't need a metal detector to find coins, I decided to quit being shy and register in TN so that I could tell you about my recent experience. And, since I couldn't believe my eyes, this seems like the perfect thread to post it in.

A few days ago, I had walked to a small liquor/delicatesen for a much needed Pepsi. On the way back, I had to wait for the walk light to cross one of the busiest intersections in this part of town.

When the light changed for my direction, I started across. I was across the center line when my eyes were drawn ahead, and to the right, to a light colored spot on the pavement. I knew instantly it was a dime, but believe me, I had no clue at all about what I was going to pick up. I moved to the right, (out of the cross-walk safety zone) and as I got about 5 feet from the dime, my mind screamed: NO WAY DUDE!!! But, yes, WAY!!

Believe it or not, I am now the proud owner of a 1901s Barber Dime.

Only in America. (lol)

tonytygr

Apr 26, 2007
birmingham al
Detector(s) used
whites 6000d coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job! I love asphalt hunting! Keep a record of all your finds for 2010 you will be amazed!

Tygr

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tygr,

Thanks for the reply and tip.

Actually, I got my first metal detector Xmas of 1965. I opened my late wife’s gift
to me Christmas morning, and found a Bounty Hunter Red Baron. She knew that
I had wanted one for some time, but on my meager salary as a cop, I didn’t want
to spend the money for it. We had 2 little children, and I felt that the money would
be better used at home. So, she had saved what she could for all year so that I
could have a gift that I would really love. (And, she was right).

Anyway, I had to go to try it out, just as soon as the children had their breakfast.
So, I drove out to Anna Maria Island, about a 10 minute drive from home. I thought,
one of the oldest beaches here is on the bay side, a beach called “Sand Spur Beach”.
And if you’ve ever walked barefooted in FL, you know where the name came from. (lol)

I parked and walked across the picnic area to the rather narrow beach and looked
around. We had a storm about 2 weeks before, and the beach had washed out a little,
so that there was a ledge that dropped down about 8 or 10 inches. I was at the South
end of the beach, and looked to the North and decided to check along the ledge about
a hundred feet, then turn and come back about 4 feet from the ledge, so that my swings,
going and coming, would over-lap. By the time I had got to the end where I was going
to start back, I had collected (if memory serves) 5 nickels, 21 dimes, and 6 quarters.
All silver of course. (Well, I'm not sure about the nickels, at that time, I didn't even know about war nickels.) On the way back, I only found a couple of dimes until I was just
about back to my starting point. Then I got a strong signal, and dug out a SS ring with
a pearl setting. The ring was so small, I figured it had to be a babies ring. My eyes were
a lot better then, and I could tell that it had been in the sand so long, that 2 or 3 layers
of pearl was worn off of the most exposed part of the pearl. (On this return trip, I also
picked up a few pull tabs, and 4 or 5 golf ball sized blobs of an unidentifiable rust.)

Anyway, I dropped the little ring in my pocket, with the coins and continued on toward the end of my path. I took about 3 steps and got a signal so loud that I thought it must
be a buried beer can. I dug down about 3 inches and pulled out a beautiful 18k gold
ring. It was set with an emerald that a jeweler later estimated to be about 1ÂĽ karat in size.
He said he couldn’t even begin to estimate the age of the babies ring, but it was really
old, and possibly dated back into the 1800s.

There you have it!! The beginning of years of enjoyment and exercise.

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Great story do you still live near Anna maria we just had a beach hunt there found a few coins but had a great time on the beach we are in Tampa . Happy hunting RON

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold eye said:
Great story do you still live near Anna maria we just had a beach hunt there found a few coins but had a great time on the beach we are in Tampa . Happy hunting RON
Hi RON,
No, work took me from FL in 1976. I came to CA, then when my wife "crossed over" in 1990, I never saw any sense in going back. I was born in Samoset, (just South of Bradenton,) a small town with a lot of history. Well, it was very small when I was born. (lol) I googled it through "google earth" a couple of months ago and couldn't even find the RR tracks that were about a 1/4 mile from the house I was born in. (lol) Seems like it's all industrial parks now.

Unfortunately, it seems like I'll end up selling my MXT as I can't do all of the squatting and standing that I use to do. I just went out today to a lot about 3 lots away from here where they just tore an old house down and only detected about 30 minutes and had to give up. I did find two clad dimes and a 1958d
wheaty though. So, at least I won't go out skunked. (lol)

Thanks for your reply
Eagle

lincha

Feb 27, 2007
Iowa
Hey instead of giving up your machine why dont you take out a kid with you so you can show them the ropes, and split the finds. The kid would enjoy learning and you would have some company, just do searches for an hour at a time, or go to a park where you can sit and the kid can do the looking. Remember you can always be a mentor.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great eye find for sure. I just wonder if that 1901 dime was sitting there for all those years waiting for you to pick it up :icon_scratch: :tongue3:

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lincha said:
Hey instead of giving up your machine why dont you take out a kid with you so you can show them the ropes, and split the finds. The kid would enjoy learning and you would have some company, just do searches for an hour at a time, or go to a park where you can sit and the kid can do the looking. Remember you can always be a mentor.
I think that would be a great idea, normally. And believe me, I've thought about it. The problem is that I don't know any "kids" around here. Or at least, the ones I know about, I'd have to worry about them mugging me. (lol) Don't worry, I don't give up easily.

spartacus53 said:
That was a great eye find for sure. I just wonder if that 1901 dime was sitting there for all those years waiting for you to pick it up :icon_scratch: :tongue3:
Nah, nothing that dramatic. I think that someone dropped it somewhere around maybe 1909, during the summer, and on it's way to the ground, it passed through a time warp and when it popped back out in May, 2010, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Just think of how awful it might have been if I had been jay-walking just a few seconds ealier. Wow, it could have popped into this time and ended up in my head. Or some other unimaginable portion of my body. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread