Take A Second Look At Those Books!

franking

Nov 10, 2011
Western Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6, Gold Mnt King Cobra, Discovery 2000, BH Lonestar, Coinmaster 4000/D, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent - Thanks for sharing that great tip. Wish I new that when I was an assistant book binder years ago.
It may have supplemented my income.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried this recently at a Savers (kinda like Goodwill). Found a folded up piece of paper with a hand-drawn dress pattern on it and in an old book about Nazi war officers I found a rusty nail file. :-\ Still like this idea though.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Don't get so caught up in lookin for money that you forget to check if the books are a first printing. Some of those, even more modern books that are first printings are worth some big $.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool tips and ideas!

All the best,

Lanny

Brian B

Mar 22, 2011
LOL, I deal in books. Go through hundreds a week sometimes, and I have never found money. Yoo lucky bastids. :icon_thumright:

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my father passed away my brother and I were going through the book case next to his chair trying to decide if they were keepers or going to the used book store. My father never a fan of the govt or banks had been putting all his money in these books. $2000.00 He didn't have much just his retirement so we used it for his cremation.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know if its a first printing? Will it say first printing or first run somewhere?

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will say on the title page 1st edition and the date. There are also some cool scanner apps for your phone if you have a newer edition valuable book. I like to scan books from yard sales and see how much they are on eBay and if it's an expensive book you can resell it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How do you know if its a first printing? Will it say first printing or first run somewhere?

Most every publisher used/uses a different method to define their TRUE First Editions.
You'll have to do the research to learn what the particular "points" are for the 1st and
later editions, as often it can be as little difference as one letter on the title page, the color
of the boards, a mis-spelling on a specific page, etc.

When it comes to determining the true 1st Ed. status of any valuable book you're
far better of taking it to a legit bookman and have them verify or determine it for
you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions