Take A Second Look At Those Books!

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
wow!!! great finds!!! the red seal would be a cool find! keep checking them and let us know what you find :headbang: :laughing7: :hello2: ;D

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I have looked in books at 2nd hand stores also. The closest I came to finding bills in books is a blank check. Not signed or anything but it was from a local couple.
I didnt buy the book but I took the check home and ripped it up. That could have been really bad for them if it was found by the wrong person.

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
Minnie said:
I have looked in books at 2nd hand stores also. The closest I came to finding bills in books is a blank check. Not signed or anything but it was from a local couple.
I didnt buy the book but I took the check home and ripped it up. That could have been really bad for them if it was found by the wrong person.

Good for you, Minnie! That was a nice gesture! :icon_thumright:

Larry G. :)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check the spines also. A fairly famous THer & a not so famous one ::) have found coins in the spines of old books. Stud finders are cheap & can be used without drawing too much attention. :thumbsup:

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A local Book shop owner told me a couple of interesting incidents he had. First off he goes to estate sales and bids on all the books if he sees some he likes then sorts thru them later on. Well on 2 seperate occasions ( that he mentioned) he scored. Both of which he returned to the owners. Both occasions were books with cut outs one had a pistol in it the other had a solid roll of gold coins! Holy BeGeeez? I still get chills thinking about what his expressions must of been upon seeing that!
So Do Check those Books!

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy found some bills in some National Geos years ago. You never know!

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
My great grandmother did this noone knew untill she passed on. But when they checked the fridge she had jars of nuts and bolts old mail and other stuff.

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
i used to be a used book seller and i found 550.00 in a book about ten years ago, i had bought a lot at an auction.
one other time found a mint condition 1955 Yogi Bera Baseball card i was abel to sell for 450.00 on e-bay.
you never know.

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
manorman said:
i used to be a used book seller and i found 550.00 in a book about ten years ago, i had bought a lot at an auction.
one other time found a mint condition 1955 Yogi Bera Baseball card i was abel to sell for 450.00 on e-bay.
you never know.

Fascinating, Manorman! Books are often overlooked for their treasure-bearing possibilities.

Larry G. :)

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
A sad story:

Several years ago I had a US one dollar bill from the 1890's that appeared to be uncirculated.
It had belonged to my grandfather.

The bill must have been pressed flat in an old book at one time and the acid from the book
permeated the bill causing it to crumble when I attempted to scan it.

Now books are "printed on acid-free paper".

:(

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WilliamBoyd said:
A sad story: Several years ago I had a US one dollar bill from the 1890's that appeared to be uncirculated.
It had belonged to my grandfather. The bill must have been pressed flat in an old book at one time and the acid from the book permeated the bill causing it to crumble when I attempted to scan it. Now books are "printed on acid-free paper". :(
BUMMER!!

kblackphoto

Nov 17, 2009
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
nokta makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well this sounds like an interesting idea- but how about a more detailed approach to finding these book treasures. what books did you find them in? is there a pattern or is it completely random?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread