Look behind those old family picture frames.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
I don't know if this has been posted before so I figured what the heck.
If any of you have gotten pictures from an older family member who has passed away or went to a home look behind the pic.
My grandmother had started to get Alzheimer's and my dads family had made the decision to admit her to a nursing home. When they went to clean out her apartment the family got pics back of their kids my dad got pics back of my brother sister and I so one night I was looking at the pics and wanted to see the dates the pic was taken so I took the back off of my sis's and out fell a ten dollar bill,then I checked mine a 20 dollar bill fell out, my bro's was a 5. I told my dad about it he just shook his head I told him to check the rest he did but found nothing.
I just thought I would let you all know. So would you also call this a cache?
HH-drewan

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
Framed paintings hold a great hiding spot for money. The stretched canvas over the wood leaves 1/2" or more of space behind the painting. When framed, people put a cardboard or wood backing on the frame which covers this little hiding spot well. I've heard of many people finding money stashed there!

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
allen said:
I saw the guys on Storage Wars look behind
a picture and they found like $850 behind it.
Lucky sons of guns !!

yep, just watched that episode again ;]

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Drewan, Absolutely i would call this a cache, just a small one, but a cache nonetheless. You'd be surprised where money gets put. I was at an estate sale last year and was asking questions about treasure caches in a nondescript way when the daughter of the lady who passed away mentioned that her and her brother were finding money hidden in different objects around the house prior to the estate sale. Right after that, she walked over to an old lamp, picked it up to clean around it, and lo and behold, taped underneath it was a $50 bill she saw. I watched the whole episode. She hollered to her brother who was downstairs "hey Rick. i found another fifty dollars". He hollered back rather nonchalantly, " put in the can with the rest of the cash". I didn't ask her how much money had been adding up but all of a sudden i had a hankering to start looking a little closer at everything! I walked over to next room that had a bed and some furniture and started to check under some things like the mattress and under the drawers but after about 1 minute one of the grandchildren walked in (there must have been 10 of them). Didn't find anything but the funny thing was, earlier i had walked up to that lamp in the other bedroom and admired it for it's age. It had a fifteen dollar sticker on it. It was too big to put on my motorcycle though. Any good cache hunter worth his salt will tell you, there's more out there than you might imagine, but you have to be constantly thinking....

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idigdirt said:
nondescript way when the daughter of the lady who passed away mentioned that her and her brother were finding money hidden in different objects
After my grandmother died my mom and her sister did the same thing. They found cash and silver dollars everywhere. Probably found a grocery bag full. (and no, I never got any of it >:()

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
When my grandpa passed away I checked through his stuff pretty good but didn't find anything. Checked inside photo frames like you said and also went through books. I did happen to find a 1934 mercury dime rolled up in one of his handkerchiefs.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad had money stashed in his bookcase. He was a child of the depression and never trusted banks or the government.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My great great grandpa stashed also. There's actually buried silver on the old homestead. Now that I got a md I'm hitting it hard. Pictures are great to find things in. Ill check thrift store pics just to find stuff!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
A copy of the declaration of independence was found behind an old painting purchased at a yard sale,i believe the auction price was over a million bucks.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Guy at the trash dump here drug out an old picture for the frame. When he took the picture out he found a couple of Confederate bills.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I know a woman who found a solid antique silver compact, and some intact 1800's shoes in her walls.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of numerous situations were people found lots of dollar bills behind pictures and in books. I cannot stress enough that you should always look in books before throwing them away or donating them and behind picture frames in pictures as well as in frozen food wrapped items in the freezer. I work in houses that are probate sales and I just was in one were the heirs threw out all the books and all the freezer content without looking oooh well I guess if they never look they will never know what they threw away.

S

stefen

Following my mothers funeral, my aunt who way staying in mom's house asked me if I wanted anything from the safe...?

Since my parents moved from the farm to the city after my brothers and sisters left home, none of us were familar with the house.

What safe I asked...

Oh, the one under the kitchen counter built into the the corner cabinet...

Apparently, my aunt had been getting stuff from the safe for my mom before she died.

We found property deeds, bank accounts, insurance docs, and a 3-generation old coin collection...

If she had not mentioned the safe, we would probably have sold the house without knowing...

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a story , possible urban legend I heard once ------- An elderly aunt passed away and left her possessions to her nieces and nephews , really did not amount to much $ wise , One nephew was T'ed about only getting the aunts bible and just tossed it in a closet ---- Years later another aunt mentioned how the first aunt hand always held the nephew in high regard and that was why she had left the bible to him , He said that he never even looked at it after the estate was settled and had stashed it in a closet
The aunt he was speaking with said that the deceased aunt had always red the bible daily and had wanted him to also , He said he didn't have the time and gave the bible back to the aunt --------------- The aunt took it home and a few days later came back to the nephew to insure he wanted her to have it , He said yes ----------------- The aunt said it I guess I can also keep the 10 thousand dollars the aunt had placed between the pages in 100 dollar bills , each one on a page with her favorite passage

ole miss rebel

Feb 22, 2013
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother bought an old frame at an estate sale. Years later we took it apart and found
one of these 1870 litho/engravings of the Lee memorial.

Attachments

• Robert E. Lee.jpg
    Robert E. Lee.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 271

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Here is a find I found in an old trunk years ago, still have it too.
Not sure if it's worth anything though?
But it's a 170years old. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421172613.228131.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421172661.510148.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421172722.361253.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread