Am I A Member Of The "I Found A Rolex" Club??

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
Am I A Member Of The "I Found A Rolex" Club??

Hi Everyone....

I found this watch about 5 years ago, and completely forgot about it until today, when I dug out my boxes of found treasures. It appears to be a ladies Rolex, and here's the story:

I found it on my way back from an afternoon of detecting...I felt a tire going soft, so I pulled over to check it, and noticed the watch lying on the side of the highway, in the condition you see it in now.

It appeared to me that a car tire possibly caught the band, and flipped the watch over, breaking the crystal, and damaging the band. The watch doesn't run, but turning the crown moves the hands freely, and the date can be adjusted.

The markings on the dial read: ROLEX - Oyster Quartz Date - Superlative Chronometer- Officially Certified - Swiss Made

I'm wondering if I have a genuine Rolex, or a fake knockoff. AND...if it is real, can I find the owner after 5 or 6 years?

So now, I'll take it to a jeweler who can open it up and give me some info on it.

Anyway, if it IS the real deal, I have to say it's definitely one of my BEST finds!

(Sorry about the bad-quality pics...the best I could do with the camera I have.)

Larry G. :)

Attachments

• rolex~front.jpg
    rolex~front.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3,210
  • rolex~back.jpg
    rolex~back.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2,058
  • rolex~front.jpg
    rolex~front.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,835
  • rolex~back.jpg
    rolex~back.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,716

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Am I A Member Of The "I Found A Rolex" Club??

Looks like the real deal. Years ago...in high school...my family went to Mexico and I bought a fake Rolex with imitation diamonds all the way around the crystal....my buddies thought it was cool but the chicks freaked out!!! LOL Keep up posted.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI

is it heavy? a real rolex would be fairly heavy. hope its real!!! :headbang: :notworthy: ;D

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

Kieth-Tx said:
Looks like the real deal. Years ago...in high school...my family went to Mexico and I bought a fake Rolex with imitation diamonds all the way around the crystal....my buddies thought it was cool but the chicks freaked out!!! LOL Keep up posted.

Yes, Kieth...I'm going to take it to a jeweler soon and have it checked out. I wish I had the tool to open it up first to check the movement. Will post an update when I have it examined!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it IS a Rolex, take the band off where is mounts to the watch itself. There will be a serial number there. You can check with Rolex on the serial number to verify it is real.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Larry,

Without a closer examination, there is one big problem. Over the date, Rolexes have a glass bulge which acts as a magnifier that makes the date easier to read. I don't see that in your picture.

Best-Mike

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gollum said:
Larry,

Without a closer examination, there is one big problem. Over the date, Rolexes have a glass bulge which acts as a magnifier that makes the date easier to read. I don't see that in your picture.

Best-Mike

If I read his story correctly, the reason you don't see the date magnifier is because the crystal was broken

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OOOOPS My Bad

No crystal means no bulge. Other than that, it looks pretty good. Take it to a jeweler and see if everything that looks like gold is gold. If so, you've got the real thing.

Mike

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,

Real Rolex = $$$$$ Fake one's in Hong Kong about 15 bucks.....

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

The "seconds" hand will continuously move across the dial. A fake one will tick off each second.
My in-laws, after returning from a trip to China, brought back a "Rolex" for each of us. It was a very good knockoff, but I recognized it as such right away. Hubby thought it was real and I waited until the in laws left to break the news to him. I wore it for years, as it was a nice looking watch.
Hope you have a winner!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sheldon J said:
Real Rolex = $$$$$ Fake one's in Hong Kong about 15 bucks.....
Yep, bought a fake in Hong Kong many years ago. Probably paid less than $10 back then.
It is quite heavy and has the bulge (magnifier) over the date.
Those Chinese really know how to fake everything.

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

TheHarleyMan2 said:
If it IS a Rolex, take the band off where is mounts to the watch itself. There will be a serial number there. You can check with Rolex on the serial number to verify it is real.

According to the research I've done on the web, the quartz Rolex models did not have the serial number in that location, and I have to do the jeweler thing and have them remove the back to find it there.

Larry G.

OP
OP
Indianhead Jones

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used

LukeTHr said:
gollum said:
Larry,

Best-Mike

If I read his story correctly, the reason you don't see the date magnifier is because the crystal was broken

Yes, the crystal was broken in several pieces, and I didn't notice the bubble magnifier if it indeed have one.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010

No reply since May? Did ya take it to a jewler? Find a number? Find the owner? Get a reward?

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gollum said:
Larry,

Best-Mike

It look like a bulge but it is actually ground out from under the sapphire crystal.On a real rolex it magnifies and on a fake it does not...

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mrs Bloom said:
The "seconds" hand will continuously move across the dial. A fake one will tick off each second.
My in-laws, after returning from a trip to China, brought back a "Rolex" for each of us. It was a very good knockoff, but I recognized it as such right away. Hubby thought it was real and I waited until the in laws left to break the news to him. I wore it for years, as it was a nice looking watch.
Hope you have a winner!
The key word you missed is "Quartz Date" This is a Quartz watch made by rolex so it does not tick off each second..it is a sweep second hand...An automatic self winding rolex will tick off the seconds..

cfdfire

Feb 26, 2012
Jamestown
Detector(s) used
Fisher 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You will need to go to a Rolex dealer to remove the back of the watch...It is a very special tool they have as the case back is threaded .Rolex uses the term "oyster" because this watch is tighter than an oyster to open..You may have to send it off for repair but it will be worth it..Good luck with a great find..

Here is a link to your watch

http://www.oysterquartz.net/the_quartz_date_5100.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread