cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last saturday my wife and I went to a Japanese supermarket. Out side of the store I grabbed the first shopping cart and noticed something inside. It wasn't trash so instead of going into the store I pushed the cart back to my car to take a closer look. It was a jar and all the writing was in Japanese. What I could see inside looked good so I put the jar in my car. Since I grabbed the first cart I knew that jar was probably in the cart no more than a minute or two.

I want back to the store where my wife was impatiently waiting and told her I found something. She knows I am always finding something. After we finish in the veg section we get to my favorite spot, the dead raw fish dept. Saturday was free sample day and what did I see. Free samples of what I found mixed in cooked rice. It was delicous and on sale for $6.95 a jar. I do not like plain rice and my wife knows that. So now I have one more thing to flavor rice with. (what I found was simi-dried salmon flakes)

Not a good as finding a ring on the ground but it tastes a lot better.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am able to, I always make pit stops at any specialty supermarket. They are the places you pay cents on the dollar for items marked up 1,000 of times at your local American supermarket. Not only that, you are getting some top notch food at bargain store prices. Thank god in NJ we have Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Russian, Polish, and Indian to name a few.

Here are some examples on great savings.
Korean - Kimchi - too hard and time consuming to make, but it is an acquired taste
Japanese - Seaweed wrap for sushi - get about 20 sheets for less cost than 5 from the supermarket
rice vinegar & sushi rice.. A special round rice
Indian - Curry, other spices and rice - all spice are a fraction of the cost
Russian - Breads
Polish - Stuffed peppers - here a jug goes for the same price as a small supermarket item
smoked meats
Greek - Grape leaves and other ingredients for any meal.

I feel sorry for those that don't have these options and enjoy ethnic foods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locally we have Korean, Chinese, Japanese markets. We will not buy sashimi at any store but the Japanese. The Korean store has 10 times as many vegitable selections as my local supermarket at half the price.

I wish there was Fillipino market closer, love that food too.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Filipino is the one nationality I really haven't tried yet, but would in a heartbeat. I did find a place that sold some Thai foods and they had that special little dressing that I:love5: so much.

Every week, so long as I'm not too lazy, I'll have at least two foreign dishes for dinner. I still make my own sushi, but only California rolls, or canned tuna ones. It's too hard to find sushi grade fish around here.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure is in the eye of the beholder. Or in this case, the stomach.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
im in the country in ohio and the most exotic store round here is an amish cheese store.....not real bad tho...excellent preserved meats and canned items like stuffed peppers and pickle style things..the sour kraut stuffed sausages is a finger licker.... cheeses and fresh baked items..pies and bread etc...it cost a little more than super market but its purty good....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread