Remington in the Mountains. Other gun finds?

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a little picnic date up the canyon one day. Walking along we came across a Remington 12 guage pump action in a soft camo case.

Reported it to the ranger in case someone had informed them of a lost weapon. An officer came to my place and took it off me, promptly letting me know that if the owner wasn't found it would be scrapped. Bummer.

Found any firearms? What did you do?

Huntr1

Oct 26, 2005
Mechanicsville, MD
Went on a little picnic date up the canyon one day. Walking along we came across a Remington 12 guage pump action in a soft camo case.

Reported it to the ranger in case someone had informed them of a lost weapon. An officer came to my place and took it off me, promptly letting me know that if the owner wasn't found it would be scrapped. Bummer.

Found any firearms? What did you do?

First thing I would NOT do is report it. The Gov't will never give you the gun once it's in their posession.

OP
OP
Ammonhotep

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a greater concern for me to find the owner (even on the off-chance) than to get a free shotgun. That's just how I roll! :-)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ammonhotep, I know where you're coming from as far as wanting to return it.. The only thing I could think of is placing an ad in the paper, or on Craig's List.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am well known for my hindsight, or is it, the other end of a horse :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Well, it looks like a at least taught an Eagle to 'Be prepared' :tongue3:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are better off reporting any "Found" weapon. You never can be 100% sure it wasn't used in a crime.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And unless there was blood on it, they would never be able to tell from a shotgun. There aren't exactly bullet striations on BB's.

A pistol would be a different thing all together. In my state at least you have to register handguns with the state, so you would technically be in possession of an unregistered or stolen handgun.

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never found a gun but I did find half a case of dynamite and promptly gave it to a cop. Oh, I forgot to say I was the cop. (depuity sheriff to be exact) I was on patrol one wintery day 4 wheel driving on a snow covered road and saw an abandoned stakebed truck half way off the road. It was covered with snow so I decided to stop. I approached the passenger side and tried the door. It opened and there on the seat was a case box of dynamite. No one was around and no tracks so I put the box in the back of my 4WD and continued my patrol and forgot all about it.

A few days later I was talking to my boss (the Sheriff) and mentioned the dynamite and he exploded!!! Told me to get that #@%# out to the San Poil mine's bunkers right this !@#$#$@!#$ minute. Looking back it was kind of amusing. But not right then.

Joe1944

Jul 3, 2013
Rockland County, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in my friend's wooded area near his house poking around, as there's always some good stuff to be found on the surface. I see a small pipe sticking up perfectly vertically out of the ground and pull it up, and discovered that it was a pretty odd looking pipe. It was the barrel of a revolver! :laughing7: I promptly brought it back to the house and set it down to a collection of ooos and aaas, and my friend wrapped it up, I'm not sure if he still has it or gave it to the police. It was so dirty, it might've been a toy, but still, a nice shock for me! :icon_thumright:

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a good person and wanted to do the right thing. The authorities however ........

Attachments

• 1351183525_slowmotion_underwater_gunshot__glock_22.gif
    1351183525_slowmotion_underwater_gunshot__glock_22.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 386

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread