Strange phenomena

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Today, as I sat looking at a small mountain range of, Maybe a mile long, I observed a strange phenomena. It was sprinkling rain and had been for about an hour. On this small mountain range, there was one spot, about probably six or eight feet square, where fog was lifting. It was the only spot on that entire mountain range where this was happening. I have observed fog lifting on mountains before, while it was raining, but it was happening all over, not just in one small spot. I sat there about 2 hours watching this fog lifting straight up from that one spot. In all that time, no other fog appeared on that mountain, or the other suroounding areas. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? I know what causes fog, but it seems strange that only one spot would meet the criteria for fog to manifest. Good Luck. rockhound

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
Today, as I sat looking at a small mountain range of, Maybe a mile long, I observed a strange phenomena. It was sprinkling rain and had been for about an hour. On this small mountain range, there was one spot, about probably six or eight feet square, where fog was lifting. It was the only spot on that entire mountain range where this was happening. I have observed fog lifting on mountains before, while it was raining, but it was happening all over, not just in one small spot. I sat there about 2 hours watching this fog lifting straight up from that one spot. In all that time, no other fog appeared on that mountain, or the other suroounding areas. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? I know what causes fog, but it seems strange that only one spot would meet the criteria for fog to manifest. Good Luck. rockhound

Maybe there was a heat source(fireplace,transformer) that caused the fog to rise.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
It was literally coming out of the ground. Maybe a cave or other fissure, or possibly some metal buried shallow in the ground. This is semi primitive area, with no buildings or anything bery close. Also no power lines or other cables of any kind, unless buried, but there is nothing on the other side of the mountain, so no need to run cables anyway. Good luck. rockhound

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy, I don't suggest returning to that spot any time soon. You do know this is based on a true story too :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
It is not hard to get to, but it is pretty steep where this happened. As close as I could tell, it was coming up from behind a large pine tree, one that was dwarfing most other trees in the area. If the large trees roots were partially exposed, would it create enough heat to make the cool rain turn to fog. If not, then there must be something else there making it to do so. I don't know who owns the property, so I will have to check before going exploring, and the weather has to subsided also. There are no posted signs anywhere so it may belong to the city, which is not far away. It being wet, it would be hard to climb that mountain to check it out. There could be something there or it could be just a strange anomaly. Good Luck. rockhound

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a hilly area for Kansas. The hills behind my house are mainly tree covered. When the conditions are right you can see what I first thought was smoke coming off of one area. I ask the farmer about that who is almost 80 now because I thought there was somebody camping up there. He said it's done that since he was a kid. He was telling me when things are damp and a wind from the south you can see the moisture coming off the top of the hill. He said there is a small meadow up there and that is where it comes from. I climbed up and looked at it a few years ago and it was like he said. Is the meadow making the moisture, I don't know but that is the area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
It sure does seem strange. There may well be a logical explanation for these things, but for fog to develope, warm medium has to come into contact with cool or cold medium. When it happens over a large area, it doesn't seem to be an issue, as the entire area is either warmer than the rain or snow, but when only one small area is producing fog, it seems that there must be something there that is not readily seen by the naked eye. It sure does warrant further investigation. Possibly some metal underground giving off a amall amount of radiation could account for the temperature difference. If that is the case then it would certainly be worth investigation. I read where some pioneers were on a hunting trip after a heavy snowfall and came upon a hillside where no snow existed. They picked up several rocks and carried them back to the settlement. A few years later they had them analyzed and found that they contained a large amount of silver. Gold and silver both can give off a small amount of radiation, if it could melt snow, it could definitely cause a cold rain to produce fog. Good Luck. rockhound

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a cave opening? jmho

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I vote spring or cave opening leaning to spring. When the temp./humidity at that elevation get's right it produces fog. Maybe a hot spring?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread