bad depiction of detecting people

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I'm putting this here is because I just saw it- on the TV. jeeesch!!!
A "Farmers Insurance" commercial- on the beach, where a man is swing his detector- over the body of another man (who is wearing a gold necklace), He then reaches down and grabs the gold and takes off running.
I don't know about you, but that P!$$'s me off!!! They are depicting Us as opportunistic thieves and putting a very bad lite on this great hobby .

I wish there was something that could be done about it. Dunno- any ideas?

Just ain't right,
HH yelnif

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it was funny, relax

I would be more concerned about how it portrays sunbathers

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Surely there are some people that read this are insured by Farmers Insurance. Cancel your insurance and tell them of the lousy ad. Those not insured by them? Write a letter about that horrible ad.....I will tonight.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now's when I really really wish there was a emoticon that rolls it's eyes

OP
OP
yelnif

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, you must be one of those guy's that doesn't care about how you are perceived by the public, and I have to admit that I don't care what the neighbors think either. But the fact is there are way to many areas that are off limits to detecting already :evil5: and this national commercial- seen by millions- gives them the impression that we are no better than thieves. Do you like being labeled a thief by a national corporation :icon_scratch: just because you use a metal detector. I don't like it at all. You know how influential the media is to those who believe everything they see/ or hear from them- :notworthy: some even take the news as 'gospel', which generally it is far from. ::)

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you 100% yelnif......100's of millions of people are brainwashed by the stupid box everyday, and they just keep on watching.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
true that I care nothing for what others think of me. However, it was a commercial using humor. Their commercials are always funny. Had it been a documentary I might agree with you. I do not know you, but some need a sense of humor and not take everything so seriously.

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites TDI, FISHER F2, BOUNTY HUNTER JUNIOR, WHITES COINMASTER 6000Di S2, Garrett ProPointer, FISHER PINPOINTER, SUNJOE HORI HORI DIGGER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
true that I care nothing for what others think of me. However, it was a commercial using humor. Their commercials are always funny. Had it been a documentary I might agree with you. I do not know you, but some need a sense of humor and not take everything so seriously.

I agree Jeff Gordon. This is television and a funny commercial. It's not real life. It's not even made to seem real. If you believe everything on TV I feel very sorry for you.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people offended by this commercial are WAAAAY too thin-skinned! It's a commercial! Do you really think ANYONE seeing that is going to think that's what we do? I guess every dog owner in the country should be offended too since they surely must be destroying everyone else's fences. :tard:

L

l2hunt

Perception is very difficult to alter.....so now that I'm up in my years I just don't give a s*** what people think! HH

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Even worse concerning that particular commercial is that it teaches children that bears are able to ride motorcycles.... I don't know about anyone else but I am outraged ! I have a good mind to buy some Farmers insurance and then run with scissors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just a commercial. I don't believe ducks can talk either...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bears can ride motel cicles?

Seen circus bears ride bicycles, they can sleep in motels too. LoL..:D

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Bears also prefer toilet paper that doesn't fall apart.

old-cabin33.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread