Mountain lion tracks?

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are known to be in area I was hunting and after seeing the size of paws I've got a new respect. (Size 10.5 boot)
226de5b9681e717170e1c97ce05b1550.jpg

I also found some nice ghost town relics
0340162e4724a681201b99f8672dfeac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No claw marks, and split main pad, not the best pic., but looks like a lion track to me.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah...it's a lion track, but not a big cat. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had them walk within 20' of me when sleeping. I've called-in a couple. It's always a thrill to see their tracks.
Jim

OP
OP
Foot hill

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah. I've seen one walk onto my property about 10 years ago then a neighbor had fish and game trap and shoot a 90lb female.
I only worry about it in eve. Or night time when bent over digging.
Might sound silly but I carry a small razor sharp boot knife just in case one jumps on my neck.
If I don't somehow drop the knife while retrieving ill prob. Survive.
90f8fe301409a281be47ccc0746fdb1e.jpg

86ede0319503e42fe98a5cfc2de76bfb.jpg

Mostly it's just peace of mind, I know the chances of attack are very slim. It would suck if a lion grabs my neck from behind and all I've got to hit /stab it with are my fingers.
I'd be dinner!

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If a lion grabs your neck, you're dead. Knife won't help at that point. I carry a large knife all the time, but the only time it would help would be face-on with a cat.
Jim

OP
OP
Foot hill

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Few years ago local news showed elderly couple, husband was tackled by cat and held by neck.
His wife took his pin out of shirt pocket(husbands order) and tried poking at eyes. That didn't work well, (eyes were protected very well by lids) she managed to find stick or rock (can't remember which) and convince the cat to find easier meal.
Also on news recently was father son hiking and son attacked by cat. Father opened up folding knife and stabbed cat in neck, cat ran away.

Both lions were trapped and killed by fish and game.

Oh and I remember two female mountain bikers that a cat got ahold of one and the other lady was able to fight/kick and punch and if I remember right also hit with rocks and that cat also walked away.

I'm not saying at all that a knife is going to be 100% effective. BUT if I'm still Conscience and am able to get hold of said razor sharp knife and cut stab for my life the cat should recognize that he's best to let me go to hunt less dangerous prey.

I do have cats in areas I metal detect and mountain bike, both in evening and night there is a sense of comfort in knowing that I'll be able to do something to change his mind.
My reasons my thoughts!
Disclaimer : I do recognize I'm prob. More likely to die of some crazy dirt fungus or lightning. Those tracks just made me think!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah....not much to worry about. I've spent a lifetime of outdoor pursuits in lion country. Only seen one that I didn't call in. Mostly, the ones that attack people are youngsters. They are pushed out of the more remote, and best areas, by the larger cats. If you ever get grabbed by a truly mature lion, it's over. I'm talking cats that are 175-200 lbs, or more. They are about like African Leopards....and leopards are considered one of the most dangerous animals in Africa.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread