1920s Leg Hold Furbearer Trap

TheWildYam

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1920's Leg Hold Furbearer Trap

Went for a hike and found this old trap at the bottom of a cliff near some water! We saw only a small bit of wire attached to a tree. The wire then plunged into the ground. We began digging and this is what we found!

https://youtu.be/3q1NucAT6x8

Old trap references:
Oneida Traps: From Religious Commune to Biggest Trap Company in World | Trapper Predator Caller
VINTAGE ANIMAL TRAPS

~thewildyam

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really neat. How deep was it? BTW I like your cabin in the woods too. Welcome to the party place. Have fun and Happy Hunting.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find a few of the Victor traps a year here on the ranch... my kin last used them in the '20s. About 80% of the ones I find are #2's with the Oneida-Victor pans. I get extra excited when they still have the anchor ring on the chain and the swivel ain't bent - luckily that's most of them.

I run them through electrolysis and then brush 'em down with Johnson's paste wax.
I've been considering enamel-filling the text stampings as a quick and easy rainy day project.

Here was the most recent one I found, with some other assorted ranch relics and the backstory:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4600857

I like to hang the Victor traps down the sides of my bookcases with really nice square nails that have been treated as mentioned above.

Nice find!

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any furniture refinishing shop will have it, or any hardware/DIY center... Even the crappy ones like Lowes & Home Depot.

d6d6d2195158d577dfbea67e05c08b5f.jpg

~Tejaas~

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET!

I used to use that type and size of trap twenty/thirty years ago. I never had any trouble catching my fair share of coyotes and bobcats with them. Sounds like someone forgot to go back and check his traps, or his set washed away down stream. Looks like it may still be useable, but if you decide to try trapping with it make sure the spring still retains it's strength against the jaws.

OP
OP
T

TheWildYam

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejaas: Thanks! Will pick some up tomorrow. Maybe one day I'll do a video of its restoration.

~thewildyam

OP
OP
T

TheWildYam

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like someone forgot to go back and check his traps, or his set washed away down stream. Looks like it may still be useable, but if you decide to try trapping with it make sure the spring still retains it's strength against the jaws.

I think it fell down the cliff face attached to the tree and was forgotten. Can't trap in these parts of Ontario, that's why I think it is fairly old. Also soft catch traps are more humane nowadays. This one will be preserved and hung up on my cabin walls as decor.

~thewildyam

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread