Big brown bear on my back porch last night

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
On all 4's, he stood to just below my hip joint.

Got a real good look at him, shined the flashlight in his face, he'd been in a battle or two. I might have looked pretty tasty.

I don't hurt critters, but this is different = dangerous. This morning I contacted a friend connected with the government and veterinary services. Mom puts out scraps every night to feed critters. I don't know if she's going to continue that or not. It's usually the coons who come to dinner. Not something the size of a Volkswagen Bug.....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too close for comfort I always wondered I know they can outrun you out climb you and possibly out swim you but when people say play dead Really its standing over you sniffing you most likely taking a swipe or 2 at you leaving a couple huge scratch marks on you poking at you with its razor claw and taking a Nip or 2 of you I think I would poop and thats the only prayer Id have of scaring it away lol

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I read something years ago about bears. They like to eat humans - we're soft and easy to eat.....

That bear first showed up last week, though I didn't see it - just evidence it had been here.

I'm going to park my car closer to the house!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you wonder if you had Steak and Patatos for Dinner or fish could it smell it and want to eat you even more. Stay safe .joking aside.
Tommy

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as mammals go humans are the most dangerous adversary—to other humans. The U.S. homicide rate was measured at 4.7 for every 100000 people in 2012 (one of the country's lowest results in a decade). Worldwide the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime estimated there were almost half a million homocides that year. Forget lions tigers and bears --- your neighbor might be more likely to kill you than all of those animals combined.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a change of attitude about my "sanctuary" now, for sure!

I went down to the kitchen for a bottle of water last night. The back door was open, as usual, just the storm door closed. I turned around with the water and it was standing on it's hind legs on the porch outside looking in. Closed and locked the real door for certain. Looked out later, just checking with my flashlight, and there it stood looking at me. Bingo, double locked that back door! But really, that door wouldn't have stopped that beast. I bet that thing is 400+ pounds....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's time for a new rug

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Food is the draw. No food , no draw.

You have a god neighbor there.
It just don't respect your privacy. Not in it's nature.
Bears cover a lot of ground , unless a food source holds them up.
Or if it's a female with a youngster (or more) in prime habitat for a while.
Seasonal foods tend to keep them on the prod.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When I saw it I just started talking to it in a calm soothing voice. I can't say it was more afraid of me than I was it. I moved very slowly, opened the door slowly and walked in - then spun around, closed and locked the door! That critter is still out there - until some of the red neck boys around here kill it for fun. For now, I won't say it's a welcome friend - next meeting might not go so well.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve Irwin would have wrestled it to the ground like a Croc or snapping Turtle or some of those big snakes he took down. That guy was nutz. Im surprised he survived all those Crocs one swing of their tail would be like playing t-ball his head would have been gone. Then he would walk in a pond to try to step on one to find it or to find a snapping turtle. That Bear he would have grabbed it by the ear and marched it into the woods. I know if that bear has a Cub around they are very protective........

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I talked to it again last night - very gently and soothing. It listens and watches me. So far the only aggressive move it has made is tearing that storm door up. That doesn't mean I won't taste like chicken to him.

So far this has been very interesting. I haven't seen him / her outside yet today, but my house is only about 30 feet from the woods behind the house.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Been looking for my camera, and danged! Typed that and looked to my right and there was my camera.

I have to run to the store for supplies (beer), I'll park closer to the house when I get back. I'll post pictures of my back storm door, and maybe get a picture of the bear later.

When we walk through life, there's always just another adventure :) This is pretty cool so far, but I sure don't want it eating me!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Pictures - may get one of him if he comes back. Here's the damage - the storm door won't close now:

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

More....

Made me do a software update in the midst of that. I'll post this and put up more pics in the next posting....

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And here's the "more"....

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

This house was built 1949 to 1950 = asbestos shingles were legal and cheap....

The first picture was the path he took from the "jungle" forest behind my house.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And, another "more'...

View attachment 1834115

I guess that should be it for the time being. If he/she comes back and does more, I'll post about that.

He/she came back last night and I sat on my porch and talked to it, very soothingly. I don't want to hurt that critter. It looked at me while I was talking to it, scared to death of me - could see it in it's eyes. I do love critters, but not so much ones which will eat me....

What an adventure this has been - so far.....

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, turns out Mom took 3 pictures of the bear when it first showed up:

DSC00175.JPG

DSC00176.JPG

DSC00177.JPG

Also shows the damage it did to my asbestos siding. The storm door was bent up in spots, but Mom straightened the door enough so we could close it now.

Pretty spry old gal at 94 :)

Attachments

• Bear2.jpg
    Bear2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not a brown bear but is is a BIG black bear. I have a good friend that has always lived where there at both. When he goes for a walk he wears a string of little silver bells around his neck and carries pepper spray.

He says the best way to read sign and distinguish between black bears and brown bears is their scat. He tells me black bear scat is full of blue berry seeds and maybe rabbit fur. Kinda has a sweet smell.

Brown bear scat has more texture. Lots of crumbled bone in it mixed with little silver bells. Smells like pepper spray. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Note that the pictures Mom took of the bear, were before it got dark, and I was stupid enough to go out on that porch after dark and talk to the bear in person :(

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not a brown bear but is is a BIG black bear. I have a good friend that has always lived where there at both. When he goes for a walk he wears little bells around his neck and carries pepper spray.

He says the best way to read sign and distingiluish between black bears and brown bears is their scat. He tells me black bear scat is full of blue berry seeds and maybe rabbit fur. Kinda has a sweet smell.

Brown bear scat has more texture. Lots of crumbled bone in it mixed with little bells. Smells like pepper spray. ;)

Interesting.... Yep, it was more black than brown - but I've always been told we do not have black bear here ????

It was certainly a brown noser though :)

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Deepseeker, be safe around the bear. If it tends to get ugly (which I hope it doesn't), you could always get you a matching hat and coat. You could become "Grizzly Grimes", the Appalachian Mountain Man Rapper........or not. Lol Seriously, be safe, and admire from afar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread