Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me wonder if squirrels have to have a permit to hide their nuts? No pun intended. Someone in Boise really objects to MDing it looks like to me. That "regulation" doesn't have the appearance of a City Ordinance so I am wondering by what authority it was issued. Arbitrarily by someone in the Parks Department? Just wondering since I have seen City officials who assumed they have the authority to arbitrarily make up rules without official legal work to back it up? Monty

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
Yah, I was wondering that as it appears more of a guideline to keep people from digging big holes in the parks... Looking at the website of the place you get your permit at it appears that they have regular buried treasure hunts in the local parks that they plant and are dug back up. My thinking is pay the $10 and at least have an official looking permit to display if anyone gives you crap about being there?

More info provided by the Boise city park contact I have been dealing with...

Keep in mind, these are for city parks only (not schools)

Kuna - no permit required
Meridian - uses same permit as boise
Star - no permit required
Nampa - requires seperate permit issed by the parks dept of nampa

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
Oh, and the lady I have been talking to has actually been calling the other city's parks dept to find this out! I thought that was above and beyond what she needed to do, makes me glad I live in Idaho and not in Kalifornia...

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
More info:

Eagle does not require a permit, no restrictions (but they want to split the loot)
Garden City has its own permit process for parks

The green belt falls into the park catagory but you have to follow whatever citys guidelines available for that part of the greenbelt

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to what I read your permit only allows you to probe for coins or anything else. Can't even dig a plug even if you replace it neatly. I don't think 1 in 10 MDers are very good at probing for loot. I guess I am just resentful that there seems to be a need for a permit to do anything anymore. But I'll bet anyone using the park facilities or picnicking or playing tennis, using the basketball court, etc. doesn't have to have a permit. Looks like discrimination to me. I'm glad the lady is helpful. I worked for a fairly large city for 30+ years and found the employees in the offices to be very nice for the most part. It's that one or two at the top that likes to be in charge and throw their authority around that always griped me. Didn't you say you couldn't even use a knife or a screwdriver? What are you supposed to probe with, an ice pick? Oh well, hope you do well at any rate. Monty

ryclo

Apr 19, 2010
I will be taking the class to get the permit, I am sure I will be enlightened on the proper way to recover items!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread