Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While researching a few different states of interest to me; Idaho sounds
pretty good to me. But, on checking the real estate market, the southern
part of the state seems way over priced ! And the northern part gets too:icon_scratch:cold in the winter for my old bones.
Looking for 20 acres or more , with ele./phone lines; yet away from the crowd.
Any counties I should be looking at ??????

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Generally, you'll find that southern Idaho gets colder than northern Idaho. It's all about the elevations. Where I live, in southeastern Idaho, it gets colder than most other populous areas of the state. The elevation here is about 4,500'. As to land prices, the rural areas, where it's tough to make a living, are the cheapest. Places like Salmon, or Challis. Both have moderate winters (for Idaho). The Burley area in southern Idaho is probably fairly cheap, for a place with most of the amenities. My advice for anyone wanting a change is do NOT buy anything until you've lived in a place for a full year.
Jim

OP
OP
G

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jim, I plan on taking a trip up there the end of August
to check it out. Ray

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have friends that bought a house in Mullen Id, hoping for a winter retreat.

Well, winters are VERY mild. Hardly any snow. cold? not really cold at all. Not the funnest town around, let me tell you.

rcliffor

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2011
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last few winters have been mild, but be prepared for severe cold and deep snow...it can happen virtually anywhere in the state. I have seen temperatures in the northern panhandle approach 50 below zero, and easily over 4 feet of snow on the ground. While this is not typical, do not let the last couple of years convince you that Idaho winters are always mild.

Kaybe11

Jul 13, 2011
Very true about the weather vs N and S. lived in Idaho falls for a little while and it went down to -18 with drifts closing the highway. In the north central, where I live, you have four seasons, not to much snow and rot now in the heat of the summer, it's touching 102. I live 17 miles outside Orofino to the North and we have had cold winters but not cold enough to kill our chickens nor have we had more than 3-4 feet of snow. North of me by 30 40 miles. Elevation jumps and snow levels are common at 20' during the depth of winter. I would highly recommend Clearwater county, cheap land great recreation and not to mention the site of the second big gold rush in the us, Pierce ID.

With the military and power lines, I have lived in no kidding 32 states and this is to me, a outdoors men's paradise. Hell, there is also not one stop light in the entire county....what more could a guy want lol

OP
OP
G

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kaybe 11, Thanks for the info. on Clearwater County. Will do some