Idaho info required

Downuner

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2016
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab: GPX-5000, SD2300, GPX Extreme, SD2000. Few other makes.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi All,

Looking for some contacts in Idaho. I'm from Australia and may be over there for a few weeks sometime between March and May 2017. I've been a prospector on/off for over 20 years. Latest detector used is Minelab GPX5000. I've founded several Australian exploration companies and have several gold claims and done a lot of exploration for various minerals (iron ore, gold, copper, etc.). I have keen interest in geology, etc. and proven project generation strategies.

Hoping someone can assist me with some info on Idaho in planning a trip and some activities - particularly around Lemhi County (Salmon vicinity).

a) When roughly is the best time to head out into the bush after winter where ground is accessible without much difficulty (snow). Is late March a good idea, or should I plan for later in the Spring (April - May).

b) How is access tracks for 4WD in the Salmon-Challis National Forest (to the south west of Salmon) and particularly access - (a) above.
I am in the process of obtaining topo maps, satellite imagery, etc. Some camp grounds I've located are Cougar Point & McDonald Flat.

c) Is there anything I need to know before heading out. Also looking for contacts to join me.

For anyone that replies:

d) It would be appreciated if you could let me know where are you from?

Much appreciated and hope you can help.

Dennis

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Dennis, I live in Salmon, we've had a cold winter and a lot of snow in the mountains and unless we get some warm weather you may still find snow well into May up where you want to go. Cougar point is a nice camp ground ( Not sure where McDonald flat is) The forest service roads are great and most of the time you don't need 4WD except when there's snow LOL. I'm not a prospector but you may want try Napias Creek over by Leesburg Ghost town, There is a mining company over there but it's marked and there are plenty of canyons to explore, they took a lot of gold out of the area back in the 1870's. But be aware the river and the creeks run high until about August or September. Hope this helps Bob

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob's advice about conditions is correct. Salmon sits at about 4000 ft (1000 m). That far north and that elevation is cold up to June. Especially at night. Snow drifts in shady spots can block roads and trails, limiting access. Flooding can also be a problem as temperature warm up. Creek crossings in the cold mornings are easy to manage, but after the warm sun melts snow all afternoon the same crossing my be impassable until it cools again.
I'm currently in northern Utah, I've placer mined a bit to the south of where you want to go, in Caribou national forest. It's rugged and remote country. April and May are rainy and snowy. Make sure you are prepared for local conditions and know how to drive in mud.
Arizona is the best mining location during April and May. The desert is awesome in the spring. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

Downuner

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2016
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Bob and XtreasureX. Appreciate the replies. Thanks heaps. There's a lot of planing and logistics involved for the activities. Spoke with BLM office in Boise, they seem quite helpful. I noticed there is also a BLM office in Idaho Falls which is closer, I will call them on Monday - need to obtain maps of existing placer/lode claims beforehand as I can't find any online maps showing claim boundaries. I did extract all claims on LR2000 so I know how many claims on each Section. Thanks again.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Dennis,
I live about 20 minutes south of Idaho Falls, near Blackfoot. I spend considerable time in the Birch Ck valley, and other places, mostly SE of Salmon. I'n very familiar with Birch Ck, Big Lost, and Little Lost valleys. I'm always up for a prospecting trip. if you're heading my way, give me a "heads up".
Jim

OP
OP
D

Downuner

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2016
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Jim. Sounds great. Will be in contact. Cheers

OP
OP
D

Downuner

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2016
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have some more questions if anyone can assist.

What's the wildlife (particularly grizzly's) like around that area (SW of Salmon), is there any area I shouldn't venture into? As a foreigner I won't be able to get hold of a firearm, even to buy and sell (or give away) upon departure.

Is there any places to hire detectors (Boise, Idaho Falls, other) ? preferably GPX-5000 (or SD-2300) - stick to a machines I know.

Just out of interest, does anyone hold any claims (lode or placer ; gold or other minerals) anywhere in Idaho?
- anyone doing full time mining?

I also intend to spent a fair amount of time up in Alaska later this year. I was in Anchorage last November conveniently when the AMA mining convention was held.

Cheers. Dennis.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dennis, there are bears, mountain lions, and wolves in the mountains of Idaho. you could run into a grizzly in that country, but I wouldn't worry about it. The lions mostly leave you alone, as do the black bears, though running into a black bear with cubs might cause a problem. I've seen several lions during my outdoor career, but have never seen a wolf. If you make some noise, most of the critters will avoid you.
I don't know of any place that rents detectors. For personal protection, I'd just buy a large hunting knife and carry that. I don't own a large caliber handgun, so can't loan you one. I rarely carry a firearm when prospecting.....have never needed one. but, I do carry a nasty knife.
I'll look into the detector rental and get back to you.
Jim

OP
OP
D

Downuner

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2016
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim for the info, much appreciated. I just spoke with Gerry from Gerry's Detectors in Boise and he may be able to assist with detector rentals. Gerry's seems to be the only detector shop that I can find so far in ID. I will also check my fly-in cities - LA and possibly Seattle.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good deal, Dennis....I've been too busy to check. Looks like you have it handled.:-)
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions