Mar 31, 2013
Richland, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Gerrett 750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!

Haven't been here in a while. Life....

I'm taking my 11 year old son on a road trip from Central Washington to Yellowstone, about 12 days. We'll be tent camping most of the way. I wanted to stop near Boise National Forest and then in the Idaho Falls area before we stop in Yellowstone or Grand Teton.

I found this map very informative: https://idwr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2ac2909cc49f4945beccdb1edbac8dd0

It looks like from this State doc that we have to pay $30 each to pan in Idaho? https://www.idwr.idaho.gov/files/forms/2017-recreational-mining-letter-permit-instructions.pdf

And can you just drive, hike out in the National Forest and pitch a tent. I realize I need to check to see if anyone has a claim in the area we plan on panning.

Any suggestions for the best campground (South Idaho) with all the amenities that a kid would enjoy?

Thanks for your help! I'm hoping to find a little color and get him hooked...

Bryan

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never heard about paying $30 , thats a new one to me. i dont know much about down that way but maybe idaho jim will chime in.
he can be of great help.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Bryan,
I would get off I-84 at American Falls. Go across the dam, and turn left at the first left. That will take you to Lake Channel Rd. If you go down Lake Channel far enough you come out at Bonanza Bar, which is straight across the river from Coldwater, which you passed on the way to American Falls. There is lots of gold at Bonanza Bar. You won't have a problem finding gold in your pans, but it will be tiny stuff. if you PM me your schedule, and assuming I'm not gone somewhere, I'll meet you in American Falls and guide you down there.
jim

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey jim, is there camping down there in that area ? what kind of camping ? boonies or ?
thanks jim.
davin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread