Camp Farragut

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Hi everybody. I recently contacted Idaho Parks and Rec about metal detecting in Camp Farragut on Lake Pend Oreille.

Basically, you can do so if you obtain a permit. However the following rules must be adhered to:
1. Do not disturb any monuments, buildings, etc.
2. Don't leave holes in the ground. Fill them back in.
3. Whatever historical artifacts you find, turn them over to the museum.

To get a permit, you just need to call the Farragut State Park Manager. This is what they wrote:

"We are in the process of updating the permitting requirements for such activities and your synopsis is very close to the drafts of our permit. We do limit the areas for searching, and items of significance are incorporated into our archive collection tied with the Museum at the Brig. If you would like to get a permit while we are refining the process please call me at 208-683-2425 ex 23."

------------------

Now you may be wondering why this would be an interesting spot. Camp Farragut was established in the 1940's as an inland naval training facility because it could not be attacked from sea. It only saw a few years of service but over 300,000 sailors passed through there. At the time it was also used as a POW camp for german prisoners. Needless to say it has an interesting historical past. Who knows what you could find.

Below you will find a google earth map of the camp. It was broken up into six different training camps which are still visible.

Attachments

• Camp Farragut Google Earth.jpg
    Camp Farragut Google Earth.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,018

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
I saw a history channel note on that several months ago, very cool! Hope you post some cool finds from there! Good luck!!! :wink:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great site. Good Luck.....aa

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Ive hunted there before. It was fun, found an old boy scout hankchief clip. lotsa land to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions