Well, theyre not Barbers...

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Well, they're not Barbers...

...but they'll do! I got the day off today to run some errands but decided to go hunting for a bit earlier on. I hit up one of my regular parks on the north side, and detected a small area I've gone over at least 3 times. Today, I pulled five wheats from this area (the size area we're talking is about the size of a large backyard), 1917, 1917, 1928, 1944, and 1952 D. I have yet to pull one silver coin from this park, and yet I'm always hitting the wheats. Found some clad too.

For my silver fix, I headed over to the camp. I pretty much stuck with the area I've been working lately, alongside that open area where much of the tall grass is dying. I pulled two more silver war nickels, a 1964 Jefferson, and a 1942 wheat. On my way to see the area TreasureFiend found his Barber, I found a ring that appears to be gold-plated. There are some markings I'm not familiar with on the inside, and it is shiney in parts, but I can tell it's not solid gold. Still, my second ring from this camp in a few weeks, pretty cool. Also found a full Boy Scout knife, bullets, foil, nails, etc etc etc.........

I didn't get to detect "quarter hill", because the sky was threatening and I'm not ready to sacrifice the M6. On my way back to the car, a light drizzle began and then it stopped when I got to the car. There in the parking lot was Murph. Unfortunately for him, the rain drenched all hopes for detecting for the day. Hope you can get out soon, man.

Until we meet again...

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 179

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Re: Well, they're not Barbers...

Nice digs Joe! Mayo and I were working the mines today at the sports complex. Loaded up on clad and got some more clad and got some trash jewelry but the gold has not started jumping out yet. Soon, very soon.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sheesh, am I the only sap that went to work today ??? LOL

Great finds bud :thumbsup:

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

TreasureFiend said:

Yep :D jk

Yeah, it was odd seeing Murph at the camp lot. It really didn't feel like a Monday. TF, you down for a hunt this weekend?? I'm thinking of maybe trying out that spot I told you about...remember...? If so, I'll let you know. It's not too far from the camp, maybe ten minutes. Mum's the word, matey! Arrr!!! Later!

:icon_pirat: Joe :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used

Lowbatts said:
Nice digs Joe! Mayo and I were working the mines today at the sports complex. Loaded up on clad and got some more clad and got some trash jewelry but the gold has not started jumping out yet. Soon, very soon.

LowBatts,

I was up in Minnesota this weekend and hit up a ton of antique shops and antique malls. I thought of you when I saw a bunch of old Elgin pocketwatches for sale inside glass showcases. I neglected to see prices, but they appeared to be high quality and mucho $$. But I'm no watch expert. If I go again sometime I'll ask about them.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Those old watches, the Plain Jane variety are very much like baseball cards. Very regional in pricing and valuation. Buy them when you are out traveling if they look good and they can be resold locally for more than you paid, sometimes a good deal more.

If you're up to heading out this way a bit let me know, gonna be going at the woods out this way. Finds are not as numerous but can be much higher quality on some of those old farm sites.

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used

LowBatts,

Good to know about the pocketwatches. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm going to take you up on your offer to hunt some woods by you. I might try a spot this coming weekend I researched, though. If anything changes, I'll let you know before Saturday. Thanks!

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Sure thing Joe.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

twistidd said:
TreasureFiend said:

Yep :D jk

Yeah, it was odd seeing Murph at the camp lot. It really didn't feel like a Monday. TF, you down for a hunt this weekend?? I'm thinking of maybe trying out that spot I told you about...remember...? If so, I'll let you know. It's not too far from the camp, maybe ten minutes. Mum's the word, matey! Arrr!!! Later!

:icon_pirat: Joe :icon_pirat:

Yea I'm down for a hunt this weekend!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread