All Treasure Hunting
Harolds chicken shack down town shy only ate there a few times :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yo P40 we just got two Golden Corrals along Randall Road. They rock, ate about two and a half chickens last time I was there. It was chicken day and they had chicken everything in the pans. Used to have to travel to eat there but much happier now. That said, it's not the best chicken but it's very good.

Best fried chicken is what I make, unless of course Goio has a recipe then I defer to him.

Bomber, go hit the GR on Randall Road, it's a buffet that kills. Otherwise stick to Popeye's and put up with the emotionally disturbed employees there. Or so they seem at my nearest Popeyes's.

BTW, me and Kermit just hit Goodfellas again, but he went mild with the polish instead of the full-on beef. So we're waiting to see that he makes it home and back online and back out to hunt this weekend. Pray hard! I think we almost ripped his stitches today on the hike I took him through.

trash n cash

Oct 14, 2007
Algonquin IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac / Garrett pro pointer
I get the whole rotisserie chicken from Costco. Used to be 4.99 now its like 6.50
When I sit down to eat it with all the fixins, Its like Aunt B. was standing over my
shoulder and just served it to me. MMMMMmmmmMMMM How bout that chicken Opie! :tongue3:

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best fried chicken dinner I ever had was at a place that no longer exists.
It was called Carls Cafe. It may have been spelled with a K - not sure. It was a truck stop located in Skokie, on Skokie Blvd. just north of Oakton street. All homemade food, real mashed potatoes, real (not frozen packaged) vegetables, and the plate was literally piled so high the food was falling off the edges.

The tables were 8 foot long banquet tables and part of the "ambiance" of the place was sitting next to truckers that had been on the road forever. You would get in line cafeteria style, grab a tray, and tell them what you wanted. They dished out tons of really tasty food onto your plate, (at the time I think a dinner was $2.95) the coffee was served in heavy porcelain or china mugs and it was 25 cents. Never ending. You could sit there for 4 hours on that 25 cents and listen to trucker stories all day. It was great times. Open for breakfast and lunch only as I remember.

I heard about some famous place located along old Route 66, went and found it and was incredibly disappointed at how less than average it was.

If anyone finds a really good home cooked fried chicken place - I'm up for a road trip (on my day off).

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey mayo,how about a road trip to White Fence Farm on yer day off,you supply some of that beer you bought to the hunt and i'll spring for the chicken

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Ditto EDDE, but not downtown; try the south side. ;D

Harold's Chicken Shack #2

6419 S Cottage Avenue, in Chicago.

Cottage Grove for you folks with white meat. :wink:

all have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm lookin for a great Pepper Steak. Any ideas?

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where is the White Fence Farm located? I googled it but got a bunch of extra locations.
And more importantly, do they allow you to bring in your own Belgian Beer? :-)

My next couple days off are going to be spent fine tuning the kitchen from hades project but after that I could be up for a chicken trip!

I also heard about Harold's Chicken Shack for a long time - I think it was on the Steve Dahl show a couple or three years ago that he was always talking about it.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always herd that Rosco's Chickin & Waffels was very good....

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WhiteFence has 4 locations but the only sit down is on Joliet Rd,about a 45 min ride,the beers will have to be before or after.where Roscos?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Just watched a food channel show, claimed the best fried chicken was in Corbin, Ky. during the annual chicken fest held by who else but Col. Sander's bunch.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I'm glad you guys enjoy this thread.I haven't eaten chicken since early '53.I grew up on it living with my g'mother but the Air Force immediately turned me off of it.In service it was runny and raw.I haven't been able to eat it since.Everytime I get near it,that picture of that service chicken comes to mind and I have to turn away.I love turkey but just can't handle chicken.You guys enjoy all you want and best of luck finding good fixin's.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
"Some Harold's restaurants are very informal, with take-away chicken served by employees standing behind a window of bulletproof glass :o(originally introduced as a necessity rather than an aesthetic concern as Harold's often served some historically "rough" neighborhoods) :icon_pirat:. Others offer a more welcoming environment, in which most of the clientele has the option to dine in. Harold's Chicken Shacks may or may not offer fountain drinks, additional menu items, catering services, or delivery. The one constant is the basic chicken dinners and the emblem of a

cook chasing a chicken with a hatchet." :duckie:

8)

all have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
My own pick is the Greyhound Tavern in Fort Mitchell, Ky. I don't know where around here you'll get that kind of value and taste for the money, but a chicken shack is pretty much a chicken shack with few exceptions. Worst service ever for chicken, water, directions to the toilet, whatever, Ground Round in La Crosse. They did us wrong, but we got even.

Anybody been to the Buffalo Shack in Mundelien lately? Nice hot stuff there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread