Congrats on your first year MDing!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Congrats on your first year MD'ing!

This shout out to all you newbies who are down with the diggins'.

Now testify!

Tell us how you have done over the course of this first year in your new addiction! We know some of you have done awesome but refresh and regale us with the highlights and your outlook on your future hunts.

Wildly unreal speculation for the coming year is a must! With so many "firsts" under your belts to date, tell us what's to come and what you need to top this year's digs!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Congrats on your first year MD'ing!

This was my first year, and needless to say I'm hooked!!! Hell, I bought a 2nd detector in my first 5 months - LOL. I'm glad that I made the jump and bought my first detector!!!! Also I want to thank all of the great people that I meet along the way (too many to name them all). I would of never meet anyone if it wasn't for Bomber's and Murphy's BBQ's!!! I have hunted mostly at the BS camp, but I have hunted city parks, the beach, schools and tot lots and even took a road trip up to WI this year. Here is my total for the year, the clad is off by a few bucks (I didn't log my clad from my last few hunts).

My finds Starting 3/8/08:
24 dollar bills
252 quarters
238 dimes
92 nickels
714 pennies
Coin Face Value = $122.54

Notable Finds:
18k ring 9.9g
14k ring 1.8g
14k earring 0.2g
12k GP ring
925 22" necklace 33.9g
925 pendant 10.0g
925 ring 3.1g
925 thimble 2.0g
18 Boy Scout Bollos/Neckerchiefs
1911 Boy Scout Pin
1911 Boy Scout Button X 3
1928 Illinois Chauffeur License/ Badge
Oldest Penny - 1894 Indian Head
Oldest Nickel - 1893 V-Nickel
Oldest Dime - 1920 Mercury
Oldest Quarter - 1908o Barber

Indian Head's: 7
Wheat Cents: 84
V-Nickels: 2
Buffalo Nickels: 11
War Nickels: 7
Mercury Dimes: 14
Silver Roosie Dimes: 4
Barber Quarters: 1
Standing Liberty Quarters: 1
Silver Wash. Quarters: 2

29 silver coins for my first year!!!! I also found 3 marbles and 2 old embossed bottles.

Thanks everybody for letting me tag along with you and for teaching me some great tips and tricks for huntin!!!
I can't wait till next year!!!!!

Next year I hope to find a Barber dime!!!! LOL

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Yep. can't see how you'd top a first year like that but I'm betting you do.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

1 walking Liberty half
1 Barber quarter
1 SLQ
1 silver Washington quarter
1 Barber Dime
8 Mercs (gorgeous :))
6 silver Rosies
1 V-nickel
7 buffalo nickels
2 Indian head pennies
Over 50 wheats, including a 1909 VDB

A sterling necklace
Five sterling rings

I lost track of my clad, but it more than paid for a new coil for my SE.

A Cracker Jack token, Lead soldier, a match safe, several Scouting slides, some cool old bottles, old dog license tags, harmonica reeds, Tootsie cars and other old toys, and a lot more interesting stuff, and Bomber's barbeque pulled pork!.

That's the stuff I can put my hands on. The best stuff I found can only be experienced. I can say that everyone I have met who is in this hobby has been great. I have met a lot of helpful people, both in person and on line. I have made some great friends here, and it I had to throw all my detectors away today and never hunt again, finding those friends would have made the whole deal worthwhile. Through the people I hunt with regularly, those I have the opportunity to hunt with only occasionally, and those I've never met but feel that I have hunted with by reading their posts, I've developed an appreciation for the historical value of a lot of things that before I would never have given a second thought. I've also learned a lot about hunting techniques, the different types of coins out there, and how to treat them once I find them.

Next year I'd like to find more Barbers, a silver dollar of any kind, a gold ring and some more Indians. I hope to get to hunt with some more members who are pro's with the SE and learn my machine a little more. Mastering the deep iffys would be nice!

So to all you out there, both in Illinois and beyond, thanks for the great welcome and intro to MD'ing in 2008! :thumbsup: Like Kermit, next spring can't come fast enough for me! ;D :wink:

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Well done Neil! Now about next year, there's no fewer than a lot of caches in your hunting area. You may start looking now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread