Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be one of those "coin Popper" machines. They are a tool that you use that digs a perfect circle plug then pops the plug out. Like what they use for making the golf holes on courses. You run the risk of hitting your coin if your not 100% dead on in your pinpointing.

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
do you use one? do most of the il guys that you've hunted with?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
rdb7,

use of a screwdriver, (or such),
sink it in and pop out the coin.

Oldtimers would never cut a plug. :wink:

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
interesting... and this works? on > 3" depth? doesn't run a higher risky of damaging the coin?

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
RDB,

Coin popping involves the use of a screwdriver or similar tool (there are devices made for such a purpose) to extract a coin from the ground without digging a plug.

Shermanville, with all due respect, some coins simply cannot be popped out with a screwdriver. Nowadays, many detectors are capable to detecting coins that are deeper than a screwdriver is tall. Even if you could try to pop out a coin at eight inches, it'd be damn near impossible.

Yes, coin popping can and does damage coins. Typically, people pop out surface coins, which in most cases end up being clad coins anyway and are not worth more than face value. Any coin les than 2 or 3 inches deep should and can be popped out, as digging a shallow plug can prove destructive to a nice lawn (cuts up the roots).

I haven't used a screwdriver to pop coins in a while because I'm not so much of a clad hunter anymore. I usually skip over the shallow stuff and seek out the deeper, older coins. I do dig quarters, though, and I can usually pop them out with the tip of the Lesche digger.

Hope this info helps!

Joe

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
twistidd said:
RDB,

Coin popping involves the use of a screwdriver or similar tool (there are devices made for such a purpose) to extract a coin from the ground without digging a plug.

Shermanville, with all due respect, some coins simply cannot be popped out with a screwdriver. Nowadays, many detectors are capable to detecting coins that are deeper than a screwdriver is tall. Even if you could try to pop out a coin at eight inches, it'd be damn near impossible.

Yes, coin popping can and does damage coins. Typically, people pop out surface coins, which in most cases end up being clad coins anyway and are not worth more than face value. Any coin les than 2 or 3 inches deep should and can be popped out, as digging a shallow plug can prove destructive to a nice lawn (cuts up the roots).

I haven't used a screwdriver to pop coins in a while because I'm not so much of a clad hunter anymore. I usually skip over the shallow stuff and seek out the deeper, older coins. I do dig quarters, though, and I can usually pop them out with the tip of the Lesche digger.

Hope this info helps!

Joe

twistidd,

No problem. :icon_scratch:

Like I said,
"use of a screwdriver, (or such),
sink it in and pop out the coin."

"Oldtimers would never cut a plug"

;D
have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Twistidd has it smack on. When I get in the mood for a clad hunt and want to clean out a schoolyard for instance, I will use a small screwdriver to pop out coins from just under the surface to about 2 inches deep. Keep in mind I'm looking for clad. One time I got lucky and popped a dime signal that was 1" deep and it turned out to be a 40's Merc. Fortunately I didn't damage the coin. ;D

I don't do as much cladding as I used to, but for those shallow hits it's quick, easy, and good to the grass. When I do it, I insert the blade until I feel it touch the coin. Then I move it over and re-insert it so it's near the edge of the coin. Then I work it under the coin and pry it up. It's especially great on shallow quarters. :wink:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
A 4 or 5 inch awl, round it's tip so it is not hard-pointed. You get a good signal reading 2 inches or so then you probe with the awl and pop the coin out. Deeper than that up to 4 or 5 inches you can cut a slit with a good serrated-edge knife, doesn't have to be big, then reach in and locate the coin with your digits and pop it out.

No holes or plugs cut, careful recovery and easy repair of dig spot. Always be aware of your environment and what your digging options are with regard to aesthetics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread