watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was such a nice afternoon so I went out for a short hunt in the woods near the camp.
I put on the small 4x6 coil in hopes that it would slow me down. . . which it did. . . and it also
helped isolate a few new targets that I had passed over during the last two hunts.

After about ten minutes, I got an "iffy" nickel signal so I scraped away a 2-inch layer of leaves,
re-scanned the area, and there was a solid tone. After digging down about 4-inches, I probed
the pile of dirt outside the hole and there was my first "V-Nickel" of the season. . . a 1901 :)

The rest of the afternoon was not as exciting. . . just a few spoons, an old tire valve stem,
a buckle of some sort, and half of a Princess Pat Rouge tin. . .

DSC_7303.jpg

Thanks for looking!
watercolor

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smoke Nick! She really does get around :o :D :D

(I guess that 'splains the 3-Merry Widows tin I found there Sunday. . . :))

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Nice V! Man, I would have killed for one of those on Sunday. Well, not literally, but, you know. I'm dying' here. You do know that, right?? :D

Next time I'm out there with you guys I am not leaving until I find at least one old coin (not including wheats). It doesn't even have to be silver. A V would be fantastic. I think I get frustrated after an hour or two and swing too fast.

Joe

Hey Mark, I just looked at the picture of your finds again and noticed the patent date on that buckle! If I'm not mistaken, it says PAT 12 25 06 or 12 25 66...not sure, it is faint, but I'm wondering if it is 66, it might be 1866. Pretty cool!

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twistidd said:
Hey Mark, I just looked at the picture of your finds again and noticed the patent date on that buckle! If I'm not mistaken, it says PAT 12 25 06 or 12 25 66...not sure, it is faint, but I'm wondering if it is 66, it might be 1866. Pretty cool!

Wow you have good eyes :o I'm going to soak that in some peroxide and see if I can get some cleaner numbers. . . I think the 2 digits are "06".

Also, I'll call you about the Ace. . . thanks!

Mark

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice finds, Mark!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That tin is great! I'm really glad you got that V. Very nice! Too bad it wasn't a couple more years older - I know you want one from the 1800's.

Sorry I couldn't join you today - had to take care of mom. Tomorrow's another day, though, and I hear it's going to be even warmer! :o ;D :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Great finds watercolor! I sure would like to find me one of those V nickels.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Dug four Princess Pat's out of a bottle hole with Mikelb, he's gotthe ones that looked very new still with him somewhere. Gotten them at almost every corner of this town.

Awesome V!

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
nice 'V' watercolor!

when you say at the camp.. is that the boy scouts camp that is in most of TreasureFiends youtube vids?

again great job!!

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Dug four Princess Pat's out of a bottle hole with Mikelb, he's gotthe ones that looked very new still with him somewhere. Gotten them at almost every corner of this town.

Awesome V!

Thanks Tim! I suppose being distributed out of Chicago they were pretty popular. . . I searched a 20-foot radius for the missing back half of mine with no luck. . . I am happy with the front though.

rdb7 said:
nice 'V' watercolor!

when you say at the camp.. is that the boy scouts camp that is in most of TreasureFiends youtube vids?

again great job!!

Thanks for the comments! (check your PM)

watercolor

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kimsdad said:
Nice finds, Mark!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That tin is great! I'm really glad you got that V. Very nice! Too bad it wasn't a couple more years older - I know you want one from the 1800's.

Sorry I couldn't join you today - had to take care of mom. Tomorrow's another day, though, and I hear it's going to be even warmer! :o ;D :thumbsup:

Thanks Neil! Maybe one of these days I'll get an 1800's V. . . (sigh) I'm not complaining though :)
So. . . your new SE coil is delivered around noon today right? :icon_pirat:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
That's a cool tin Mark!
I just came back in from a lunchtime walk and was betting that you and Neil are out there today.
Mike
PS. Hey Nick, did you give up on that Sovereign? I was going to ask you your opinion of it because I'm eyeing an XS Pro
right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread