Weekend finds at the MI BSA camp

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Well I was hoping we would come back with handfuls of silver from this place, but I can't complain. There were over 60 guys there from around the country and some only walked away with clad. Had a great time with Brett and his brother Tim, staying at a cabin on the lake. I went to summer camp at Owassipe over 40 years ago so it was pretty cool getting back there and taking a trip down memory lane.

Attachments

• johnsnew 197.jpg
    johnsnew 197.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 211
  • johnsnew 198.jpg
    johnsnew 198.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 204
  • johnsnew 193.jpg
    johnsnew 193.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 201
  • johnsnew 195.jpg
    johnsnew 195.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 206
  • johnsnew 196.jpg
    johnsnew 196.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 211

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime you can re-live childhood memories, spend a great weekend with your sons,
and make some really nice finds to boot, is as good as it gets :thumbsup:

Take care,
Mark

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Cool finds! Scout camps are def some of the best spots to hit. I passed a few scout camps in KY this past weekend that i'll bet have never been hit, and if so, not much. Nice to see those silver Rosies. I almost forgot what those look like!

I found the exact same pendant you did at the camp we hunt here. It was a few inches away from a 1908 Barber dime at 7 inches.

Joe

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John

Great memory lane story..Glad you had the opportunity to do it..On top of it you got some great Keepers out of it too

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I can really appreciate your finds knowing how much work it took to find them. I'll post mine later... still recouping from that trip. Between the pouring rain and the long hours and hikes... we busted our ASSES off for those coins. Congrats on your finds!

I think the best part was sittin' down after a long day of hunting in the rain and enjoying that pizza in town at Big John's Pizza http://www.bigjohnspizza.net/ with you and Tim.

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
bucnrut said:
Cool post litefire56. I went there also as a scout about 30 years ago so reading your post brought back a lot of good memories. Wonder what the camp looks like now. I camped at Blackhawk. Is that where you guy's hunted?

I would think there should be a lot of silver there. I think that was the oldest camp for the Chicago Area Council. Cool finds!

Thanks! Yeah, we hunted Blackhawk and found some silver there, but it had been hit hard over the years, and the only good finds were in the brush or on the steep slopes. The oldest camps in the Chicago Area Council were Beard, West, and Steward all located on Crystal Lake 3 miles SW of Blackhawk. I went to Camp Beard, which closed in '68. The whole lake area was sold off and now has million $ homes around it. Those camps opened in 1912 and Blackhawk in the 30's.

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
bucnrut said:
Is the camp closed now? I know they were gonna sell it but I heard that deal was stopped. Was wondering if the structures were still there. Like the mess hall, boat house and rifle ranges. I would love to go there now and prowl around. Sounds like you guy's had a great time.

Blackhawk is still open and running, just as it was. You can also rent a cabin across the road from there but it has to be on the off season as the Camp staff uses them during the season. Brett can hook you up with the Rangers contact info if you're interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread