Oldest foreign coin today

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
I was looking for a place to hunt close to home today, that could possibly produce something old. Brett called and told me about an old spot that had just been mowed. I gave it a shot but couldn't get a decent signal so I moved on. A few doors down is a nice old site that we've been getting Injuns and silver, but the signals there have dried up lately. With the ground being nice and moist I thought it may give up one more keeper. Every signal I was digging was very iffy and were coming out as bits of iron and nails. Then I came across a signal that was jumping from 32-68 VDI but gave a nice tone on the high end. At 8" a big green copper disc popped out and
at first I thought I had my first Large Cent when I saw the Liberty head. Its a bit larger than a quarter and a little thinner. Turns out there was a pulltab in the plug at 2" masking the coin.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• johnsnew 200.jpg
    johnsnew 200.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 193
  • johnsnew 201.jpg
    johnsnew 201.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 198

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its french --- republic of france 1898 5 centimes(similar to cents) the A is the mint mark for the paris mint -- 1897 - 1920

its worth a few bucks money wize (say $3 to $10 depending upon condition )since its not a ultra rare high dollar coin--but as a "find" its priceless.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That's a sweet looking nickel! Got one of those and a 10 centime at Wing Park a few years back. They were both period coins from WW1 and happened to be on the site of a Flag Day celebration, colocated with other items from that event including tent grommets/spikes left behind when the storm blew in and cut short the party. Mine were much more worn than yours is.

Sweet! Could be one of the returning dooughboys dropped that one too.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Whoa! Great Large Nickel (LN) Dad! That's crazy that we've missed that one after hunting there at least 8 times now. Just goes to show it's never hunted out!! It's been a great year already... and the finds just keep coming ;)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin!

My Grandmother's cousin brought a few back from France after the Great War. . . I still have them.

Neat find :thumbsup:
watercolor

Tim_IL

May 23, 2008
IL
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Whites DFX
Hey great find Dad, looks like its in very nice condition too. PM me the location where you found that, I think I know but I'm not sure. Man oh man it looks like its going to be a good year for finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread