My first Large Cent and oldest coin ever - Yeah Ba-Bee!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Yesterday, DP Bob, Watercolor and I hit a private lot in the full sun and then headed into the steamy mosquito and tick infested woods. No sweet finds for all the trouble, (although I did get a coveted 1975 rabies tag!) so I declared Friday my day to get some flowers planted and rest. That lasted until around 9:00 this morning. ;D With it being partly sunny and cooler out, I was getting the itch.

I called Mark and asked him what he was doing - "just relaxing" he said. So I said, "I was thinking of going out for a couple hours." "Like in about 20 minutes?" he asked. The last minute hunt was on! :icon_pirat: I wanted to try the E-Trac again and hit an open area in one of the groves using some suggestions I got from McEtrac. (Thanks, Dave!)

I must have hit a spot that hasn't been hunted too hard, because I started pulling out wheats right away. After a couple of those, I dug a '35 Merc that I have to say is the first Merc I've ever seen that I don't think is gorgeous. It look like she spent some years being ground into a stone driveway before she was given up for dead and buried. :-\

1935 Merc small.jpg

A little while later, I got a good deep signal and thought I had a quarter. About 8 inches down, I finally popped out a "smooth" disc and immediately thought Hmmm..large cent - yeah, right! I've dug my share of blanks and punchouts, and I thought that's probably what this is. I sat down on my digging pad and using a little water, started to clean it off. The back looked smooth and the front had a few details that were hard to make out. There wasn't any corrosion evident on it. I began to wonder if maybe it really was a large cent. Mark saw me walking toward him with something in my hand, so he took off his phones and said, "What did you find?" I half jokingly said "A large cent." He looked at it and looked at it some more. He agreed that it probably was an LC. ;D

When I got home, I cleaned it up with some dish soap and a soft toothbrush, then broke out the magnifier and a flashlight for oblique light. Then Mrs. Kimsdad got ahold of it and wouldn't let go!!! She doesn't have an interest in detecting at all, but she loves to see my finds. This time I almost couldn't get it away from her. I called up all the pics of the old LC's on the Internet, and after I finally got it back from her, through the process of elimination declared it a Classic Head Large Cent. There's no date visible on mine, but they were only minted from 1808-1814!!! :o

This turned out to be my oldest coin ever and my first LC! Now I know how you felt when you found yours, Kermit! I've been pumped all day!!! When I hold this coin and think that it could be 200 years old, I'm amazed. It would be nicer if it had more detail, but I'm still happy with it as it is!

I inserted a couple of pics into the photo of the one I found - one in relatively good shape and one that's worn, but not as bad as the one I found. Looking at those pics and comparing is how I ID'd it.

Classic Head Large Cent both small.jpg

Classic Head Large Cent Heads Campic2 small.jpg

Finds.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and HH this weekend!!!
Thanks Kimmie!
Neil

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil that is a spectacular find :thumbsup: and "Yeah Ba-Bee" is an
understatement. . . especially in "this here" neck of the woods.

That LC definitely has some wear and must have exchanged hands thousands
of times before a hole in someone's pocket took care of business.

It's a wonder how something that big could ever have escaped
all the hunts in that area :tongue3:

(And that's the WORST looking Merc I've ever seen you dig ;D )

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Oh Man!!!!!
What a great find there Neil, and no offense, but I gotta agree with Mark on that Merc.
Can I have that old worn out SE now that you've got your Etrac? :icon_jokercolor:
Mike

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is old and ugly but you know what... she's yours now.......

They are hard to find...... that's for sure.

I told you after you found your George that your goal should be a LC.... Bingo....

Out of all of us who hunt together Who's going to get the SEATED.......

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 294
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 302

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Holy Smokes Neil, what a great find !!! :thumbsup: I'll bet you'll be going back there very soon. But before you do please call and invite me. ;D

1-800-Iwa-nt12

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
WOW! Great find Neil! That's one of the oldest Largies I've seen anyone find. She's definitely been around town, but at least she's still clean... no crusty crabs or anything ;)

If I get really lucky I might find one of those someday :) Congrats again!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
They do feel good coming out of the ground when you can read them, even better I'spose when you have to anticipate! The 1807 I spotted for Mike last year was awesome on the front. One of these days I'll make him post a pic of it or surrender it for me to pic.

I am surprised that you ETrac guys are not getting seated coins more often, the E's are superb machines. But then again I can say almost all my seated coinage has come from sidewalk/parkway work where there's good scrapes or turned dirt. But I'm thinking I'm getting close at the site D-Dub, L4S, Trash and I have been working. We are about one homesite away from LC's popping too!

Congrats on breaking that barrier down and here's to your next one!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You got min beat, mine is a Matron LC (just after yours) hahaha :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That makes 2 LC's so far this year from our neck of the woods!!!!! Whos next? :icon_pirat:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Neil,

Wow! Congrats on your large cent! That is so cool. You know, some people talk about the "Silver Club" as being an exclusive club, but I'd have to say that being in the "Large Cent Club" means you're really jet set! It's funny, because though I know it's always possible one of those might be found, I never expect it because I figure it very well might take years.
Congratulations again!

Joe

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all your kind comments, gents! :wink:

I really don't use the E-Trac like I should. It usually stays in the trunk while I use the SE.

I've been forcing myself to use it more to learn it. I'm glad I did on this hunt! :)

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's an awsome find. To find coins that old in this part of the country is something special. Great hunt and Congrats. HH
Johh

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see " SEATED " Next...........................

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer find for your area. I have yet to find a Classic Head in Kentucky or Indiana. Only one I have was found in Virginia years ago.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Nice large cent, I am jealous. As for your ugly merc, try about 3 to 5 shots of tequila before you look at her, should make her look like a prom queen :laughing7:

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wav: Nice find my friend.

I've only found one in my 35+ years of hunting...and yours is nicer than mine...seriously :D
Then Yeti and I had to work on mine quite a while to be able to see it WASN'T the "Chucky Cheese" token I thought I had ;D
Yours looks good to me :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the kind words Dirtyjohn, Buckleboy, Savant365 & 'Freak!

Buckleboy & Savant365, it's great to see you pop up here on IL - welcome! :wink:

Hey Bryce, does the Yeti come from Franklin County? If so, we might be related! :o

Neil

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Kimsdad said:
Thanks for the kind words Dirtyjohn, Buckleboy, Savant365 & 'Freak!

Buckleboy & Savant365, it's great to see you pop up here on IL - welcome! :wink:

Hey Bryce, does the Yeti come from Franklin County? If so, we might be related! :o

Neil

Thanks Niel, no offense but I just use the "unread posts" feature at the top and bottom of threads. I didn't realize I was posting in the Illinois part of the forum. But thanks for the welcome just the same :thumbsup: I click on "unread posts" and it brings up a couple of pages of the most recent posts and I just reply at will ;D I have seen a few posts directing folks to the Illinois board recently, good idea :thumbsup: I like seeing all these LC's being posted from the midwest too, gives me a little hope for finding one of my own around here. The town I live in was incorporated in 1845 so there should be a few around here somewhere (I hope). Good luck to all you Illinois hunters, keep the finds coming.

HH Charlie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread