Jeff has started moving our finds to the Illinois Todays Finds forum - Why???

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Jeff has started moving our finds to the Illinois Today's Finds forum - Why???

I got a PM saying that my latest post has been moved.

I sent Jeff this PM:

Hi Jeff,
Why are you starting to move our finds around?

The Illinois forum should be a place where we can go for all things Illinois, and we have been quite comfortable with our finds being posted in the IL GD forum....

We should be allowed to work the forum as we see fit, and unless it's been an issue raised by Illinois members, the finds should stay where they are at.

FYI, I'll post this as a topic in the IL forum so you can let everyone there know what's up and why thing are being changed....

My post has totally disappeared from the Illinois forum.

I guess I want to know why it's being fixed if it isn't broken? The current arrangement works well for us - why make yet another place we have to go to on T-Net instead of one stop shopping like he have - err had it?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Jeff has started moving our finds to the Illinois Today's Finds forum - Why???

there Is a Todays Finds in Illinois Forum For a Reason.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,154.0.html

If anyone In Illinois Feels Todays Finds Should Be in Todays Finds in Illinois & Not in the General
Discussion Let me Know & I Will Move all finds Posts Up.

JEFF

if you feel like Kimsdad no need to respond
I will let it Go

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Jeff has started moving our finds to the Illinois Today's Finds forum - Why???

Only trying To make things easier to find.

Do what yous want

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
So are you gonna move all mine to the ITALY forum ... ???
:sign10: :sign10: :sign10: :sign10: :sign10: :sign10: :sign10: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used

DP Bob and P2C, you have posts that were moved. PM Jeff if you want your posts moved back to the Illinois General Discussion forum.

To all of you Illinoisans out there, I spoke up to Jeff on this when my post disappeared from the GD Illinois forum. I felt that keeping the forum status quo was the thing to do. I'm not trying to speak for any one else out there. I just feel that if a change like that is made, it should be made with the input of the users that it affects.

If there are others who feel it should be changed, speak up & we'll do a poll or work it out somehow.

Again, I don't purport to speak for anyone other than myself. I just didn't like this blanket change being implemented without input from the illinois users. My feeling is, simpler is better, and if it isn't broken - don't fix it. :wink:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It looks like all the states now have there own todays finds section.. So I guess if we are planning a hunt or outing we should post it in the club and hunt section of the IL forum. If we find something we post in the IL finds section.

The way I see it is that each state now has a General Discussion, Todays Finds and Club and Hunt section....

Easier??????

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

I am of the opinion that it'll work best if this is an all or nothing sort of decision. If some people use the new board, then that either forces other people, who wouldn't otherwise, to read the other board -or- it in effect creates two separate communities. I am somewhat conservative in the sense that I am generally of the opinion that if it's not broke don't fix it; however I am not reactionary either and can work with the new system and do see the merits of it as organizing things. What I am concerned about is my first point that it may either force some to have to navigate a separate board they wouldn't otherwise -or- be disenfranchised (okay, clicking an additional link isn't that hard but I do understand).
Is there anyway we can have some sort of consensus on this? Perhaps the best way to vote what you feel is to post or not post to the new board, and we see how the chips fall.
I'll leave my moved post to the new forum there, not as a vote of confidence for it, but rather I am not very confrontational and don't really think its worth Jeff's time to move it.

-Jon

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

As someone who is not from Illinois, (or Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, and 44 other states) I enjoy seeing everyones finds, regardless of where they are from. It would suck if I had to go to 50 different forums to see everyones posts, or had to remember what state's "todays finds" forum I saw something posted in, if I wanted to go back to it later......................

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject

Diggem'

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used

Diggemall said:
As someone who is not from Illinois, (or Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, and 44 other states) I enjoy seeing everyones finds, regardless of where they are from. It would suck if I had to go to 50 different forums to see everyones posts, or had to remember what state's "todays finds" forum I saw something posted in, if I wanted to go back to it later......................

Diggem'

You'll still have to - no matter what. I post most of my finds only on the IL GD forum. Unless it's an earth shattering find, this is where I'll put it. These are the bro's I know & hunt with, & we like to share our meager finds with each other. My opinion is that the Today's Finds forum is so big it's unwieldy. The question is whether the finds posted in the Illinois GD forum are split off into yet another forum for Illinois Today's Finds.

If you want to find items you've seen before, Charter members get a search function that I've found very useful in the past. It will let you search for keywords across all the forums. It's a great tool! HH!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggemall said:

Diggem'

Today's Finds Will always Be where it is.

General Discussion for Each state
was Created for a place to
Discuss your state. Leads, Introduce
Yourself, ask Questions Etc.

When Members started Posting Finds
alot of this Got Pushed down So the Todays Finds
for each state was Created as a Way
to keep things Organized. However Seeing
the Opposition to Change I guess all I can
say is Good Luck with that.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Jeff, great idea! Shermanville would be proud!

I like the broader "Today's Finds" section because it can display superior finds and keep some of our (my) more humble digs out of the bandwidth. I've been dismayed by the sheer number of Today's Finds and looking for those few awesome jewels among the clad is tedious.

The expanded states forums also trims the chaffe from the einkorn to some degree, but we don't really want a general discussion about Illinois. Too easy to run off about the Toddler, Rain Man Daley or Blago or our favorite son, Mr. Precedent, or lack thereof....

So we've really stuck to the TH'ing thing (oooh wordsmith me) and kept that interest high. If it's a good thing for the speed and data management, okie dokie! If it's zeitgeist to change, then we'll adapt.

Thanks for all your work, you've been mahvelous!

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Re: Jeff has started moving our finds to the Illinois Today's Finds forum - Why?

Hmm, well, Jeff, I am not sure I would be moving posts! :-[

I welcome cross posting in the Today's Finds Forum, a well as the "Finds" forum for your particular area.....

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,140.0.html

NO other cross posting please!

I'm sorry for the confusion... >I< should have clarified my intentions when creating the new forums!

Marc

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Jeff has started moving our finds to the Illinois Today's Finds forum - Why?

Marc said:
Hmm, well, Jeff, I am not sure I would be moving posts! :-[

I welcome cross posting in the Today's Finds Forum, a well as the "Finds" forum for your particular area.....

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,140.0.html

NO other cross posting please!

I'm sorry for the confusion... >I< should have clarified my intentions when creating the new forums!

Marc

They don't want to Post In the illinois Todays finds forum
Marc they want to post their Finds in General Discussion

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II

I really liked the way it was before. One place to post and one place to read. I don't usually look at the other forum sections and I don't post in the GD Today's Finds section. These are the guys I hunt with and therefore I am more interested in their finds and I am sure they are more interested in mine. Its was easy for me to find theirs amd easy for me to share mine. Now I need to look or post in 3 different sections? I understand trying to organize, but sometimes to much is to much and I think that is going on here.

Kimsdad said:
If you want to find items you've seen before, Charter members get a search function that I've found very useful in the past. It will let you search for keywords across all the forums. It's a great tool! HH!!

Easy way to fix that. Go to google and do your searches like this:

site:forum.treasurenet.com "put what your looking for here"

Example: I am looking for info on the Fisher f75.

site:forum.treasurenet.com "Fisher F75"

or

site:forum.treasurenet.com "F75"

or looking for two words in random order

site:forum.treasurenet.com "gold coins" "cache"

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used

That's a great tip, Dan! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That must be the one new thing I was supposed to learn today. It's early, and now I can be a slacker the rest of the day! ;D

If things stay the way they were with all of our finds going into the GD Illinois forum, you can go to the "Profile" link and pick the "Ignore Boards Preferences" link. Check the two new illinois forums and when you go to GD Illinois, the new ones won't be listed on top of the page.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

I liked the way it has always been. It's cool posting anything Illinois-related on one forum. Makes for a nice assortment of topics to read, all in one place. I don't see a need for a General discussion Illinois forum AND a Today's Finds (Illinois) section. Kimsdad, thanks for bringing this to the attention of the moderators.

Joe

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

twistidd said:
I liked the way it has always been. It's cool posting anything Illinois-related on one forum. Makes for a nice assortment of topics to read, all in one place. I don't see a need for a General discussion Illinois forum AND a Today's Finds (Illinois) section. Kimsdad, thanks for bringing this to the attention of the moderators.

Joe

I agree with Joe 100%

Neil let me know about this little meetin' place...and I've liked it ever since.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to admit that I liked it the old way. I always posted in todays finds then posted a link in the IL GD forum. I like the input from the local guys and it was simpler to post in one place. The IL forum is a smorgasbord of topics, that's what makes it such a good forum. I'm slow to change but that doesn't mean I won't. HH
John

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

Pencil one more down for leaving the Illinois forum the way it has always been as far as posting our finds goes. Like many others I don't post in or even read Today's Finds because I just don't have the time to. It's also really nice to have everything IL related be in ONE section. If you don't keep up with one section... well then, you deserve to not know where a post is.

Here's a BETTER IDEA for your administrator:

Add useful¹ TAGS to the posts, and make the forum members set a simple tag, TODAY'S IL FINDS, STORIES, CLUBS, IL CRH, etc.. and by default all posts go into one section. If a member wants to SORT the topics and just focus on one of those tags... they don't have to go into a separate section... they just change the page filter to show TODAY'S IL FINDS, IL CRH or whatever... IF they need to. The members contribute to the system, and the section moderator can CORRECT improperly set TAGS (which won't move a post).

¹ I know we already have TAGS... and I'm sure they are useful for Charter members... but we also control the tags and they get jumbled up... but if there was a hard coded drop down list of what type of post it was, that's what I mean by TAGS.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Count me as yet another one that likes it the old way - all in 1 section. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread