Back to last weekends spot para mas oldies!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Back to last weekend's spot para mas oldies!

Following my success last week at the area I found the two '18 mercs, buffalo, two V's and a bunch of wheats, I decided to head back to see if I could muster up some more.

I started off right away with a '16 buffalo at five inches. After that, I couldn't find anything else for a while, other than some trash and small relics (broken cufflink, anyone?). Eventually, I scored a wheatie duo in a hole and a couple other solo wheaties, before moving to another area nearby. That's when I scored my second coin spill of the day, two buffs (a '19, and a dateless) and a '25 merc. Nearby, I dug what I thought was a trade token at the time, but after getting home and rinsing it, I have no clue what it is. Maybe one of you guys could give me some insight. It is super thin, thinner even than a dime, and kind of resembles one of those ancient Chinese coins, though I'm not suggesting that's what it is.

After a few more wheaties, I got rained out and decided to head home for some rest. Ah, I also eyeballed this metal tag which I believe might be a cremation tag (shudder). It was on the surface in a sodded area. I felt a little dirty taking it and fully expect the spirit of whoever was attached to it pre-bake to haunt me until I put it back. I also found the rusty remains of a gun in a dried-out river floodplain. Yes guys, this is the real deal this time! I seem to find a lot of toy cast guns or gun parts, but this one is a little too heavy to be a toy, not to mention its placement in most convenient area, one which is full of water most of the time (no evidence = no conviction). I kept the cool ornate doorknob I dug as well. The icing on the cake is, coincidentally, an exact duplicate of the Pepsi bottle Kermit just found. Cue Twilight Zone theme song right about now!

I hope you guys have a great weekend!

Joe

p.s. wheaties are 2 X '26, '34-D, '19, '27-D, and '19-S.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 129

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Back to last weekend's spot para mas oldies!

Awesome job bud!!!! That's excellent spot that you found, keep on poundin it out for everything she's got!!!! :notworthy: LOL Sounds like last year when you would find something then I would find the samething and vise vursa. :tongue3:

Silvergurl

Jul 10, 2009
The Shire (near O'hare)

:headbang: :headbang: Geeezuz Joe, wicked finds. Literally and metaphorically... We found bullets the other day, maybe you found the "missing" gun. ;D Def. cue that twiliight zone tune about the bottle. You found its partner. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Nice Joe! 300 years or so ago some fella named Joe (or that's what they called him) might have won a pachinko tournament with that thing!

Sweet coinage too!

Cylinder looks kind of short on that gun, might have been the one Michael used to hit The Turk and Captain Mcloskey at the meeting....

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

Congrats on your oldest coin Joe! It's going to be hard to top that one. And you got silver to boot today. If only guns could talk, I bet that one would have in interesting story! Awexome day!!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Creepy.....post....
Wtg on those great finds ( Steve ;D ;D )

Find any bones out there too.... ;D ;D
Looks like you had a great day too....

Now that Chinese coin is going to be a hard one to top.....

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 98
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 100

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

WTG, Joe!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A gorgeous Merc, a funers tag, a real gun, and a real ooooooldie! Wow! What a hunt! :wink:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great finds! The Chinese coins are kool . Usually the coins showed up in the USA by workers that built the rail roads .

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Wow, really great hunt! Sorry I missed this one Joe... Cool old coin too! Who knows? You made dig a Roman coin from one of the groves. I've been dropping some here and there. ;D

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe, a coin 300-years old found around HERE is awesome :thumbsup: (sorry Crusader, I had to say it :D)

And congrats on the rest of your finds too! :wink:

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

Awesome Finds Joe!
Finding a real gun. I am sure the probability of that around here is actually pretty high, but don't see it happen too often. That Chinese coin is old. It beats my weekend find which I have yet to post, which is from 1775.
-Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions