Suggestions Welcome

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites XLT
Hey everyone :hello:

I know this post isn't all about detecting and being an outsider here in Nebraska, I hope you don't mind me posting here and I can get a few suggestions. My wife and I are going to be in Chicago from Sept. 13 through the 16th or 17th. A few things we are hoping to do is catch a Cubs game (not really a Cubs fan but you have to go to Wrigley), go to the Museum of Science and Industry, maybe a tour of Chicago, and some shopping for my wife. Are there any other things worth seeing or doing in Chicago? Sight seeing. Places to eat. Entertainment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now for the detecting. I'm hoping to bring along the detector. I was going to ask where I could go in Chicago for a little detecting, but maybe I should ask are there any places I should stay away from for safety reasons. I'm sure Chicago's not quite the same as small towns here in Nebraska. I'd like to hopefully do a little detecting, but I don't want to worry about my safety.

Thanks for reading and happy hunting to all!

Big E (from Nebraska)
Emil

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Jan 17, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites XLT
Central part of the state, Grand Island, which is 2 1/2 hours west of Omaha

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny you mention this. . . my wife & I will be in Omaha during that time
visiting her relatives :D

But. . . I'm certain there'll be some "hunting action" by some of the Chi-Town
T-Net'ers during your time here so not to worry, I'm sure you'll get hooked up
in no time for a decent hunt in some of our Chicago parks. . . 8)

Take care,
watercolor

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I know where that's at. I might be out of town that week, but plans that were firm suddenly shake like Jello. :-\ If I'm around, and the weather is nice, you're welcome to join me in the suburbs. A lot of guys hunt the Chi parks on the weekends, but I see you're going to be here mid week.

I've only hunted two Chi parks and my experience there is somewhat limited. I'm sure the regulars there will have more info than I do. They might PM you with the info rather than post it here, though.

At the museum, be sure to see the U-505. IMHO, the best exhibit there.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Emil,

I've hunted a bunch of Chicago parks, and have a few spots that we can hunt. Most of the parks aren't too bad, especially if you'er hunting with someone else. But like you said....there are some parks that I won't be caught in by myself metal detecting....I'd get robbed or mugged before I even get out of the car....jk, not that bad!

Hit me a pm, and I can meet up with you at one of the parks.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
A list of non-hunting things to go partake of
(1) Superdawg - a hotdog restaurant that was established in 1949? It and Wrigley Field were featured in a book that was titled something like 1000 things to see before you die. It is at the intersection of Devon, Nagle, and Milwaukee avenues.

(2) If you are going to the Museum of Science and Industry, you may want to also walk over to the University of Chicago, where I work. Besides the beautiful architecture, there is the Oriental Institute and the Oriental Institute museum which has a wonderful archeological collection from ancient Mesopotamia and the Ancient Near East:
http://oi.uchicago.edu/museum/

(3) Lou Malnatti's pizza: http://www.loumalnatis.com/ hands down (at least in my opinion, which is objective) the best Chicago style pizza.

(4) The Chicago Botanic Gardens -- when I was in graduate school, I loved going to the botanic gardens. They are awesome, if you are into that kind of thing.: http://www.chicago-botanic.org/

-Jon

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Big E, welcome to the Illinois forum from a life-long Chicagoan! I would most definitely urge you to go to a Cubs game! U.S. Cellular Field is really nice, but to me you just can't beat the Friendly Confines.

Jon (P2C) suggested Superdawg. Superdawg is pretty good, and in a very safe neighborhood. However, I've got to say that they are a little pricey and it doesn't have much to do with how good they are, more like the the owners taking advantage of the popularity of the place (due to the blinking Tarzan hot dog and his girlfriend). IF you want a truly Chicago-style greasy hot dog with all the greasy trimmings, you should go to Jimmy's on 4000 W. Grand Avenue. Not the best area, but hey, it's worth it!

I would also highly recommend the Chicago History Museum if you're into that stuff. It's my favorite museum in the city. Also, the Lincoln Park Zoo is worth a trip, it's a free public zoo with plenty of parking (go on a weekday).

A lot of the Chicago icons are pretty lame and not worth a visit IMO. These include Cloud Gate (the "Bean"), and Chinatown.

If you wanna come out and detect, I'm sure any of us would gladly accomodate you! Our resident park hunting experts are probably your best bet, seeing that you've got an SE you should snag some old silver or IH's. Let us know in advance.

Have fun in the Chi!

Joe

p.s. I am a food expert, so if you are a seasoned culinary afficionado, hit me up with a PM and I'll let you in on some restaurants with food so good, you'll think you died and went to heaven.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Some great suggestions here already for things to keep you busy in Chicago, but I have one or two more suggestions.

A couple years ago I went on a Segway Tour through the parks and lakefront with my wife. It was incredibly fun, and turned out to be a perfect day. It was in the spring time, but it's pretty close to spring like weather now. In two weeks, who knows... it might be sweet. You have to book it in advance, so you have to take a chance but it will be well worth it.

http://www.zerve.com/MySegwayTour/PrkGlide

Sites along the way include:

* Field Museum
* Millennium Park
* Shedd Aquarium
* Adler Planetarium
* Museum Campus
* Buckingham Fountain
* The Lakefront Bike Path
* Daley Bicentennial Plaza
* The Rose Gardens of Grant Park

We got to the storefront first, and I reserved one of the two large ATV versions of the segway that they had. Just ask nicely :) :thumbsup:

My only other suggestion is to take your wife to Geja's Cafe for dinner. It's a fondue place that will absolutely blow her away.
http://www.gejascafe.com/

Have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread