08-30-2009 Sunday Finds

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Got a late start this morning due to a wedding last night, and then also a slow start at "the spot". My first target was a nice high tone like a wheatie. When I opened up the hole it was nulling, but I decided to retrieve the target anyway. It turned out to be two coins stuck together, one wheatie and another wheatie that's all rusted - most likely a steel penny. I can't read the date on the non-steel penny due to the rust transfer. I also got a clad half dollar, my second found, and first RETAINED. Went back to an area that was producing and nabbed a few more wheats, and a merc. We found another new spot and I started pulling wheats and an indian. I got the heart pendant at yet another spot that was deep, like 8 or 9".

FINDS:
1944 Merc
1906 Indian Head Penny
9 Wheaties - '13, '14, '15d, '28, '35, '43, '46, '46s, '??
Heart Pendant
Key

TIP: I have a tip for you E-Trac users. If you are getting a lot of falsing that seems to come from the ground, i.e. Noise Canceling in the air doesn't cure the noisy detecting - try Noise Canceling with the coil on the ground. Find a clean spot with no iron or any other targets, and press the noise cancel button. I did this today and it completely cleared up some interference I was encountering. This won't always work, but it's worth a shot.

08300901.jpg

08300902.jpg

08300903.jpg

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT HUNT BRETT, KEEP IT GOING! :icon_sunny:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Great digs, Brett!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That Indian & those wheats sure cleaned up nicely. And the Merc - well, she's gorgeous!

A short electrolysis bath just might clear the date on that wheat if you're interested.

Thanks for the tip for the interference, too!

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys!

Neil, I used 35% hydrogen peroxide on the indian, and 13, 14, 15d wheats. I just let a tensioned bead of it soak on top of the coin laying on the counter top for a few minutes, then scrubbed with toothbrush soap and water. Could have gone longer on the indian though.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds Brett....I am impressed with them,how clean you got them,and the excellent pictures you took of them.....You must have one sweet camera as well........Congrats

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds there Brett....

Looks like all of IL boys had a pretty good weekend with finds

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Nice selection of coins and those 2 early wheaties really cleaned up nice. Thanks for the tip on noise cancel. Will definately try that at one location I occasionally go to where the interference gets bad.

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Congrats on some nice finds today Brett! With all the thousands of half-dollars you go around paying for everything with, I'll bet you cherish that one! Especially after the one that got away! Sweet looking Indian too! :thumbsup:

If you don't mind I'm just gonna post my finds here. After dealing with my headphones shorting out all day I wasn't able to score much, but here's the take. 1 centavo, which is what? 1/20 of a cent? ;D

Attachments

• johnsnew 574.jpg
    johnsnew 574.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 118
  • johnsnew 575.jpg
    johnsnew 575.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 124
  • johnsnew 576.jpg
    johnsnew 576.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 113

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Brett! Looks like you guys have a good 'ole spot there. :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on bumpin around to new spots to keep the oldies rollin on in!!! :icon_pirat:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Sweet digs there guys!

But honestly Brett, do you ETrac guys need any more help with signal characteristics?!?

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Lowbatts said:
Sweet digs there guys!

But honestly Brett, do you ETrac guys need any more help with signal characteristics?!?

Hah! Since I got my etrac, I've been doing just fine with the occassional noisy environments, but now I have a new secret weapon! I mean, WE do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread