South Street Reprise - going back to our roots

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Met up with Paul bunyan, aka Lowbatts, on South Street today. At one point I got a particularly strong signal but it was somehow different. I asked Tim to double check the signal and see what he thought. He got a slightly good signal also but thought there was iron in there. He starts digging and immediately gets a 3 inch tree root. Neither of us brought the solar powered Sawzall but Tim had his trusty tree emancipator or ax or adz or whatever its called and he proceeded to chop out the majority of the root. At this point I almost started feeling guilty he was doing all the work so when he handed me the tool to get the rest of the root out, I told him - no it's your find. Well he insisted no it was my find, which I took to mean he was tired of chopping roots. I chopped out the rest of the root and dug around a bit and found the iron piece - a long square nail - but on checking the hole, there was still a good signal there. Digging some more small roots out and going down another couple inches, it was now obvious that stories like this more often than not end up like this. Underneath that huge root was the gear thingey pictured in the large group photo. It may have been from an old music box or a weird clock. Anyways, a big THANK YOU Tim for all the hard labor!

As we proceeded in a westerly direction, I kept collecting mem cents here and there and wondered if it would ever end. I was getting tired of digging them. So I get another signal that I thought could be another mem or possibly a wheatie since I had dug a couple of those. I'm thinking, I should just skip this one and concentrate on only the high tones. I couldn't get myself to pass it up so I dug it. Out pops the Indian Head and it's in great shape as you can see in the photo. That's probably my best looking one so far - all I did to clean it was dish detergent and a soft toothbrush.

More mems, three different times I got fooled by great signals that were whole pop cans 10 to 12 inches down right near the new curbs. Another wheatie, miscellaneous junkage, and then finally my first silver on South. I cleaned it with the same dish detergent and toothbrush only. A nice Barber dime.

I posted the photo of the miscellaneous junk, and the mems and clad dimes and one lone Jefferson Nickel just to show everyone (that doesn't have a Minelab) that even though the Minelab has the ability to see good targets relatively close to junk targets, it doesn't eliminate having to dig the junk! And in sites with the potential for older stuff, I think you want to dig pretty much everything anyways.

The wheaties were 1917, 1920, 1940, 1945, 1946

Attachments

• 1895-1906.jpg
    1895-1906.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 1895-1906-2.jpg
    1895-1906-2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 9-12-09A.jpg
    9-12-09A.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 149

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah, got to the root of the problem!

I walked over that Barber at least twice and got little to no signal there until Mayo changed his channels! His secret weapon, max that ETrac out and it killed my ability to see anything but the surface goodies with my trusty CZ!

Got three rat tokens, all were lain on the ground with dirt gently brushed over them so only their "golden" edges appeared. So I'm betting one of the locals was having fun with us. I mean geez, you could see the brush marks in the dirt from their fingers... Maybe I'll carry a couple of my gold coins over there next time and when they think I'm jumping up and down from the rat plantings, and come out to " see" what I've found, last laugh time. Just before I sell them my cheapo metal detector for 2000 bucks...

Anyhow we got about 20% of that shaved parkway ground covered today. Mayo got the goods, I got the rat tokens, clad, a strange glass-beaded metal disk and a couple keys including one that indicates a "you ain't coming back home" message.

One of the worker bees stopped by and talked and I asked him if he could cut another two inches off along that stretch and he said sure, he'll do it Monday. It's good to be the guy that resells gold to the worker bees at greatly reduced prices...

Attachments

• South912Mayo.jpg
    South912Mayo.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 151

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N I C E H U N T M A Y O

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME job!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COngrats on pulling that silver out of the ground and back into the sunlight. :thumbsup:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Great post, Mayo, and great finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really have come to hate memorial cents, too. And deep pop cans? I have nightmares about them.

I have to say that your Indian is in great shape, and Barbers are always cool to find! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions