watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . .that I found my oldest silver :icon_sunny: but I digress. . .

Saturday was mixed with rain but that didn't stop Looking4seated, his Dad Waldemar, DDub
and I from hunting the woods that have been renowned :o for giving up some nice old silver
and other assorted goodies.

My pickings were slim except for a piece of natural sea-shell jewelry that was
accented with gold. It didn't look like it was that expensive but it was still really
nice to find. Even if I didn't find anything that day, I still would have been content
because I was looking forward to DPBob's pizza party later in the afternoon.
Thanks again Bob for putting on a great shindig :thumbsup:

On Sunday morning, I met up with Kimsdad, DDub, Bucnrut, Twistidd and Mikewaz and spent
only 3-hours hunting because yard work had been PROMISED that afternoon :tongue3:.

Anyway. . . I got a nice 1920-D Buff, a ladies' compact, and a button (plus a Merc I
lumped in from Friday's hunt ::)). However, the coolest thing I found was a "Vehicle
License" that was dated 1919 (Yep, I was happy about that one ;D) Plus, a few other
odds 'n ends.

DSC_0353.JPG

DSC_0354.JPG

Now, back to my oldest silver ever. . . ::)

I really wasn't going to hunt today because I had a care plan meeting for my 89-year old
uncle in the morning. The meeting went well and I noticed I had a text message from
Looking4Seated. . . he was hunting the woods just down the street from where I was
at so I decided to head over and spend an hour or two. I had no great expectations
but am I glad I made the trip.

After hunting about twenty minutes, I got a solid quarter signal. When I started digging,
I encountered several roots so I took a wide birth and after digging a hole at least 7"
deep and 12" wide, I figured I had all my bases covered. I scanned my pile of dirt and
got a solid 88 VDI reading and then carefully pinpointed my target. To my elation, I
saw a silver, reeded edge and then some arrows clenched in the grasp of an eagle.
I then realized that this was no Washington or Standing Liberty so I placed the
mud-encrusted quarter in my plastic pill container and waited until I got home to wash
the mud off. Today WAS a good day :icon_sunny:

Thanks for looking!

Barber25.jpg

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
All I can say is "OH WOW!" :o :o :o

O.K. Enough of that shtuff! When you said that quarter had a lot of detail, little did I imagine it would look that fantastic!!!! :o

I'm glad you went, too! The quality of that coin speaks for itself! The fact that it was almost a seated quarter makes it a great find, but the condition? OMG!! You are living right, buddy! Congrats on that winner and on your other cool finds, too!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_king:

winner.jpg

You need to print the pic of that quarter as an 11x14, frame it & hang it on the wall. I would!

Attachments

• winner.jpg
    winner.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 309

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Great finds Mark! And that quarter... :o
WTG on that one!!!

Can't wait to get out there with you guys.....

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON A REALLY AWESOME FIND !!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Mark,

Holy crap.

That has got to be the nicest Barber quarter I've seen found. As I am typing this, I just got off the phone with you, and could easily tell that you are pumped about it too! What awesome detail, everything about that coin is sharp! A huge congratulations!

Hey, it was fun hunting with you the other day as well. How cool was it to find that old liscence, huh? Man. I think that liscence was the only notable find in that whole little area, between you, me, and Mike.

Again, GREAT finds, especially that quarter. Hope to see you soon!

Joe

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing coin - almost like it was minted just weeks before being lost!
Congrats on that super shiny (and for not nicking it while digging.)

The vehicle license is very cool as well.
It would be interesting to research what kind of vehicle it was on and who owned it.
And why it wound up in the woods - was it stolen or just dumped.
I wonder if their records go that far back...

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
That's da bomb diggitiest BBQ i've ever basted my binoculars on! Congrats on a crazy awexome find Mark!!!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY SH*! Damn She is a beauty......Double HIGH FIVES......

When I called you and you told me about it and telling me it had great detail you weren't kidding...Then to drive home not knowing the date must have been killing you....

Jon Thanks for the heads up on the date cause it sure freaked Mark Out when I called him back..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Awesome tag !!!!!!!

NICE BIG HI HO SILVER x 5

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 211
  • THUMBS UP GUY.jpg
    THUMBS UP GUY.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 216
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 211
  • THUMBS UP GUY.jpg
    THUMBS UP GUY.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 217

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Absolutely stellar coin. :o One of the nicest dug Barber quarters I have ever seen. :icon_thumleft:That is what this hobby is all about. Cool vehicle tag and other finds also.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow Mark! I'm glad I was there to see you recover your oldest silver and see the detail that I was able to see through the dirt. And thanks for calling me to tell me the date.....It was killing me. ;D

It's hard to find one in that condition, and you dig one....That's just simply AWESOME. :hello2:

Once again....BIG TIME CONGRATS!!!!

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
That barber quarter is unreal, Mark!

I bet you weren't expecting that after L4S had just dug a Roosie.

Way to go. :icon_thumleft:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I think there was a great recession in 1894. Brought on by the loss of newly minted quarters.... I think you're on the trail to fixing the tough times they had back then!

Absolutely beautiful coin Mark. But then, all those digs pictured are excellent also! Great return for the short swing time!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Oh man Mark, that coin's beautiful!
I haven't been on the forum much lately, but Joe called me last night and was going on and on about what a beauty it was.
Now I know what he was talking about.
Congrats!
Mike

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Wow, he DID make the banner! I never thought I'd see the day a fellow Illinoisian and friend would have his find featured up there. Kudos to Mark, that coin couldn't have been found by a better guy.

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Congrats Mark! A well deserved banner by a deserving md'er for sure!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Banner find buddy, she is perfect!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some AWESOME finds Waterclor..............................That Barber Quarter is a fantastic find.....All the rest of those oldies are great as well....Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions