Dug my oldest coin today, most Injuns & silver to boot! 10/13/09- *update

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Dug my oldest coin today, most Injuns & silver to boot! 10/13/09- *update

Well after a no silver Sunday hunt with the Pirates, I really needed a confidence boosting hunt. Heck, I couldn't even score a wheatie out of a 1800's park the other day. ???

But hunting with McNickel, GOIO and T-man can be a real learning experience. I thought I slowed my
hunting way down but those guys are like statues! ;D Anybody that can work a 20' x 20' area for 3 hours has a lot of patience.

So I set off this morning to a close by farm site that Brett and I have worked in the past. Never got any silver from this site, but I know it had Injuns and old wheats. I've been wanted to score some
Indians so bad lately but just can't seem to hear 'em for some reason. Today I tried using Mixed Mode and running 15khz only. Wow, what a difference! You gotta love a site that only gives up oldies! No clad was dug. The 1865 is my oldest coin to date, and the 43 Merc makes # 51 for '09.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• johnsnew 685.jpg
    johnsnew 685.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 390
  • johnsnew 695.jpg
    johnsnew 695.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 428
  • johnsnew 688.jpg
    johnsnew 688.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 420
  • johnsnew 694.jpg
    johnsnew 694.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 403
  • johnsnew 687.jpg
    johnsnew 687.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 393
  • johnsnew 698.jpg
    johnsnew 698.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 403

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dug my oldest coin today, most Injuns & silver to boot! 10/13/09

WOW , GREAT SET OF INDIANS AND A NICE MERC. CONGRATS ON YOUR OLDEST COIN TO DATE!!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

.............W O W Litefire 56.............Y O U R E A L L Y Turned up the heat.............Congrats on those A W E S O M E
I N D I A N S ...........................A N D Y O U R 5 1 st S I L V E R A S W E L L......W E L L D O N E !!
!!!!!!!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

Where the heck did you find another hotspot at that farm!!!!?? That's some crazy loot considering how many times you and I and Tim have been all over around there.

Most indians I have dug in a day has been 4.... so huge congrats on digging 5 AND a silver AND all of those wheats in one day. Interesting that Mixed Mode did the trick for you. That's the one with pinpoint mode and normal tone ID mode mixed together right? What were you digging on, the faint pinpoints and broken tone ID's or were they just tone ID'ing well in that mode?

I guess that place was not hunted out yet after all... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used

And a Big time huge congrats on your oldest coin!!!!! Didn't you jump about 25 years or something like that since your last oldest coin?

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used

Brett said:
Where the heck did you find another hotspot at that farm!!!!?? That's some crazy loot considering how many times you and I and Tim have been all over around there.

Most indians I have dug in a day has been 4.... so huge congrats on digging 5 AND a silver AND all of those wheats in one day. Interesting that Mixed Mode did the trick for you. That's the one with pinpoint mode and normal tone ID mode mixed together right? What were you digging on, the faint pinpoints and broken tone ID's or were they just tone ID'ing well in that mode?

I guess that place was not hunted out yet after all... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Yep, the mixed mode works both channels at the same time. All the injuns were broken up signals bouncing from iron on up. Only 1 sounded halfway decent and the Merc was a surprise,,, thought it was going to be a zinc cent.

This is the site we stopped at on the way home Sunday. Millies place!

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used

Brett said:
And a Big time huge congrats on your oldest coin!!!!! Didn't you jump about 25 years or something like that since your last oldest coin?

Before today it was a '74 Indian

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used

litefire56 said:
Brett said:

Yep, the mixed mode works both channels at the same time. All the injuns were broken up signals bouncing from iron on up. Only 1 sounded halfway decent and the Merc was a surprise,,, thought it was going to be a zinc cent.

This is the site we stopped at on the way home Sunday. Millies place!

What what what??? Millie's place? Duuuuuude... out in the field?

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac

Nice group of Indians! That 1865 is really sharp! :hello2:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Go get 'em John! That's a comeback if ever there was. Excellent returns!

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Hunt! Congrats on the 1865 IH, that's borderline large cent territory.
HH
John

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh wow!! That '65 IH is really sweet :thumbsup:

You done good!

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used

Thanks guys! Today I went to a new farm site down the road from this one, and snagged another
for the tribe.

I also found another first for me, token wise....

The initial Food Stamp program in the United States began in the 1930s and served two purposes -- (1) relief for the poor, and (2) providing price supports for agricultural products by keeping surplus foods off the market.

Participants in the program bought a book of Orange Stamps (they were actually called Food Orders but looked like postage stamps) which were in 25 cent denominations. These could be used to purchase any food products. They also received a book of Blue Stamps at no cost. The Blue Stamps were also in 25 cent denominations. Blue stamps could only be used to purchase certain food products which were identified as surplus foods. The benefit to the participant was getting the Blue Stamps for free.

The problem was that most items were not sold at prices in even 25 cent increments and the merchant was prohibited from giving money back as change. If someone bought items totaling $1.42 they had to present $1.25 in stamps and $.17 in coin. What if they did not have coin? They would have to present $1.50 in stamps and receive nothing for the overage.

Merchants quickly became wise to this and issued their own credit slips, tokens and chits with the approval of the Department of Agriculture who oversaw the program. Since the change given back was only redeemable by the same merchant, it also assured the customer came back to the store.

Attachments

• johnsnew 723.jpg
    johnsnew 723.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 363
  • johnsnew 724.jpg
    johnsnew 724.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 323
  • johnsnew 725.jpg
    johnsnew 725.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 316

Silvergurl

Jul 10, 2009
The Shire (near O'hare)

tmanfromtexas said:
Great job on the indians and the merc. Low and slow is the way to go. TMAN...

I agree with T-Man. "Low and slow" - I always feel rushed whenever I'm out.

Nice job, litefire! :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

John,

You and Brett amaze me with all of the IH's you guys dig. Were they farming IH cents at those farms? I'd love to find more, but I guess I just don't run across too many where I hunt (I had a crack at one a few weeks back, but...well, Lookin4Seated knows all about that one, lol!). So far this year I've dug 6 IH's, hopefully I can get to 10 or 12, we'll see!

Hey, great job and overall stellar assortment!

Silvergurl said:
tmanfromtexas said:
Great job on the indians and the merc. Low and slow is the way to go. TMAN...

I agree with T-Man. "Low and slow" - I always feel rushed whenever I'm out.

Nice job, litefire! :thumbsup:

Hey Mary, that's how I used to be. I took Yulelah's (sp?) advice, and when I begin to feel beat, I take a breather, sit down with a cold one (water, of course!...), a snack, and after about ten minutes, I'm good to go again. Otherwise, I swing too fast and it's just a waste of energy since there's no way to get any good deep signals that way, especially in a trashy area. Another reason why I like hunting with Bill T, he's a veritable vending machine. Peanut granola bars? Sure thing! Beef jerky?? OK! Chocolate pudding pies? Wait, I bring those...

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used

Got to do a bit more swinging at the farm today. Thought I could get a couple more indians, but they evaded me for some reason.
I did get a silver first today, but not a coin. This thimble was down 8" and sounded like a quarter. The wheats were close by but not as deep. '11. '13

Attachments

• johnsnew 728.jpg
    johnsnew 728.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 290
  • johnsnew 732.jpg
    johnsnew 732.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 297
  • johnsnew 731.jpg
    johnsnew 731.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 311

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Re: Dug my oldest coin today, most Injuns & silver to boot! 10/13/09- *update

Wow! Great thimble dad! I still have yet to get one that has a mark on it, although I got one that I thought was silver... probably aluminum though.

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Re: Dug my oldest coin today, most Injuns & silver to boot! 10/13/09- *update

Brett said:
Wow! Great thimble dad! I still have yet to get one that has a mark on it, although I got one that I thought was silver... probably aluminum though.

Thanks! I was able to trace the hallmark to Simons Bros Co. who started making gold and silver thimbles in 1839, and still do. I emailed them and awaiting a reply regarding the date of mfg.

http://www.simonsbrothers.com/about.htm

I found another one with very similar scroll work going for $80

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/SSBSSB2.htm

BTW, mine was crushed closed when I found it, but I worked it like Paul Revere for an hour. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions