Whatever Happened to Filling in Your Holes???

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I don't know if it's just an influx of newbies out there or just people that don't care, but I can't remember ever seeing so many open holes at some of the places I've hunted recently.

I'm talking about crater sized holes in the turf and in the woods. Nobody should be using shovels in the turf to dig a dime sized object to begin with.

I must have filled in 20-30 holes last weekend because some lazy %#$$# couldn't take the whole five seconds it takes to replace the dirt, and I was nervous that I'd be blamed for the mess someone else left.

I've heard of more than a few people being shagged out of the forest preserves recently and you can bet that this is the reason. Pretty soon Cook County will be added to the list of no detecting sites if this keeps up.

End of rant!
Mike

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100% buddy. I mean really this is going to come back and bite us in the you know where!!!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Another reason to stay alert. Bumped into a newby last week at a park here and went through the quick-start guide to digging etiquette.

Meanwhile I've been accused of leaving behind holes where people saw mole crowns, groundhog holes, chipmunk holes, squirrel diggings and golfers too so I'm very sensitive to the issue myself.

Here in Kane County the only answer I got for banning metal detecting was "All them holes left by you people looking for bottles..." And yes, even their green-shirted storm-troopers are incompetent to determine the difference between animal activity and that of humans.

Well they didn't ban digging for bottles, but they did ban metal detecting, go figure.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
You know, I always knew this was a serious issue, but I went out this morning for the first time in two weeks- to the same place I went to two weeks ago- and it didn't take long to notice a few massive holes either left open or plugs haphazardly kicked back but not really like it was before. We need to be alert. Even though I hate fixing bad plug jobs (because it takes away from my detecting time), I do it because it's the only way we all can continue doing this. If and when you guys notice someone else leaving messy holes, you need to address the matter swiftly and educate the persons involved. I've yet to meet a hobbyist who doesn't put his or her plugs back the right way, and so that makes me happy, but there are some out there who are inadvertently ruining the hobby for the rest of us.

Joe

Seriously, like how lazy are some people? It's just stupid. Takes five seconds.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Yep, I just got told this week that there is no more metal detecting allowed in the city parks here because some id10t was digging holes the size of basketballs and there was a bunch of dead spots in one of the parks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread